We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

St. Louis, Mo
1 post
Save Topic
Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

Has anyone had any problems leaving the Dominican Republic on just a birth certificate?

Canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

I don't know if anyone has had problems but Canadians are supposed to be able to go with just a birth certificate and a government issued photo I.D. However, all travel agents, etc. are highly recommending to get a passport. For the cost of them our whole family are getting them for just the peace of mind. That way we have them in case we should want to travel elsewhere where passports are needed.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
719 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

We are returning to the Dominican for our 7th trip and have only travelled with a birth certificate and picture id. We have never had a problem. Our reservations slips even have a statement on them that says: Birth certificate and picture id required for entrance. It does not state anything about a passport. Our travel agent has never told us that we should get a passport. We plan on returning many times and do not plan on getting a passport until we are told that we will absolutely require one as this is the only place that we travel to.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

I use Birth cert. Dr. Lic. and since I changed my name when I got married I carry my Marriage cert. just in case.

Never had a problem from Canada

NJ
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

We are from the US and only had a problem with Delta airlines not wanting to give us our tickets with DL and BC. They wanted me to have a passport, which I have, but it's in my maiden name and my married name was on my flight ticket. They really hassled us. I'd bring a passport just for peace of mind.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

We never had a problem, but after our third trip in a year, they were looking at us kind of funny, so we decided to get passports.

I did have to show our marriage certificate one of the trips to justify the name differences.

Shelly

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

NOTE: It is my understanding,as of Dec.31,2006 ALL U.S. citizens will need a passport when you travel anywhere out of the country.But not now.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

Correct, that is the official date as of now. The date had changed. It is a good idea to keep this in mind. I look at it this way. It was 90 per person for a passport that is good for 10 years. That is only 9 dollars a year! not bad when you think of it like that.

Shelly

Odenville, Alabama
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

PuntaCana2006, don't worry about your passport, just make sure you get your butt to the airport on time and don't forget to bring what's his name?

Guess who!

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

Thanks Shelly, that's the point i was trying to get across.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Birth Certificate vs. passport to Punta Cana

i dont believe its as much as leaving as it is entering the USA. as of 07 dec, you will need a passport to get back into the country even from canada!, plus its soo much easier! Good luck