We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

We have visited Punta Cana, DR in Feb '11 and we loved it. However we are starting to plan our winter holiday and are trying to decide between the DR and Jamaica. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

Why not try Jamaica this time, for something a little (a lot) different? Where were you thinking of going in Jamaica? To the beaches of Negril? Try someplace new, and then for winter '13, you can return to the place you preferred, or.... try yet another new destination.

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

i prefered DR. Tyring Varadero this year. but of the two you are asking...i personally like DR much better

boston
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

I agree, you should try somewhere new. Look into Montego Bay, Jamaica. The people and culture are great. Stayed at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and also Iberostar Grand (Adults Only next door). We also visited Negril which was beautiful. Did not like the resort at all, so we went back to Montego Bay.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

It will depend on what you are looking for. If you want a great beach stay away from Montego Bay and head up to the Negril area (7mile beach). I still think the beach in PC is much nicer. The service is completely different in Jamaica as well so if this is a big deal for you then you might want to stick with PC. I love Jamaica but the "soon come" attitude drove me nuts after a while.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

Negril is beautiful, 7 mile beach wow, IMO Jamaica is much better than DR , the people in Jamaica are the nicest people i have ever met. Try it?

I loved Dom Rep too but Jamaica is just something else......

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

I am very interested in this topic as well. We have been several times to DR and the last few years have been split with time in the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico and Punta Cana. The group of us are now thinking of possibly trying Jamaica.

We prefer the food in Mexico and the great things to do off resort in Playa Del Carmen area. Both have nice beaches and Punta Cana is a great place to relax.

How does Jamaica compare with food and activities such as the strip in Playa Del Carmen. Are the beaches as nice as Punta Cana and the Mayan? Is it safe to go to off resort bars at night?

Lee's Summit...
Level Contributor
507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

Everyone is different. I didn't enjoy Jamaica, and I'd never go back. Too dirty, too much drug culture.... Everything seems half broken, and no one is in any hurry to fix it.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

mmcdan, when you say things were broken were you referring to your resort?

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

Its a very different vibe in Jamaica. We enjoyed Negrill. We staying right on 7 mile beach. Good food, good people but, while we are no angels, we found the openess of pot smoke everywhere annoying. You can SMELL folks before you see them! Nice people though. The dollar goes pretty far there as a dinner at a fine dining restauraunt, including a drink or two will run about 60 US $.

The DR is not as laid back and more of a party atmosphere for us. We prefer it but we'd go back to Jamaica....maybe if EPC every finishes it's Oyster Bay resort...hmmm I think I'd like that. Still, we kept comparing Negrill to PC when we were away so I think that says it all for us!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dominican Republic or Jamaica???

Been to Iberostars in both. Stayed at Rose Hall Grand in Jamaica and have stayed at the Bavaro in PC. IMO I like PC better. The beach is better and the resort is soooooo much nicer in PC. Everyone speaks english in Jamaica which is a plus. But we have never really had a problem. They say you can drink the water in Jamaica but everyone drinks bottled water so what's the difference.

Try something new. Go toJamaica. Pick a good place and have a good time. We did. But now we are on our 5th trip back to PC