We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana and getting sick

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana and getting sick

Hello everyone,

Wy wife and I are thinking of going to Punta Cana in December and are growing a little concerned baout getting sick there. I have a read a few posts about people getting sick from the water, ice in thier drinks etc. I have also read reviews where others have said there is nothing to worry about. Any thoughts or info on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Chelsea, Canada
Level Contributor
775 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Many, many treads on this topic...

-Don't drink tap water (even for teeth broshing and carefull in shower).

-Wash your hands before eating

-Don't drink too much alcohol

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Yup, do a search on the forum and you will find a lot of info.

In general:

Water and ice in restaurants and bars is filtered and safe to drink. DO not drink the water in the rooms. That includes brushing your teeth (use bottled water for brushing), and try to keep your mouth closed when in the shower.

There are many reasons why people get sick. Anything from not following the above advice about water, to the heat, all the new foods we eat while away, the alcohol, viruses brought in by other guests, confined space of the ariplane, etc, etc, etc.

To help alleviate the chances of getting sick, we do the following:

1. Eat lots of yogurt with pro-biotics before we leave.

2. We also avoid foods at the buffet such as cheese, processsed meats, fruit that can't be peeled, etc.

3. We also take a pepto tablet before each meal.

4. Drink lots of water. Dehydration is the root cause of many illnesses.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Hi.

I Doubt if people said they got sick from the water.

Yes you can get sick from the water but because everybody knows it nobody drinks it. Ice in resorts made by purified water and safe (same counts for all water dealt with whilst preparing food and drinks).

Some people never get sick on their holidays (like me) and some catch things a little quicker and do get sick. There is no guarantee of anything in regards to how your body will respond.

With common sense you will come a long way, however if some food was not prepared right you can run the risk of getting ill and there is not much you can do about it.

It is a bit the luck of the draw. Many resorts do their best to prepare food the right way but there will always be someone somewhere that took that chicken wing off the grill a little too soon, it happens anywhere and due to the heat bacteria do spread quicker.

You probably run a bit more of a risk of getting ill in a hotel in the Dominican republic than in one in Finland but if getting sick was really that much of a problem and so many people suffer whilst on holiday there then it would not be such an immense popular holiday destination.

Do take into consideration that of all the posts of people claiming to get ill there are many more of people who did not get sick but people tend not to write post about how not sick they were on their holiday :)

I think people live in fear a little too much these days and miss out on great things because of the (sometimes unrealistic) fear of all sorts of things.

Go, Enjoy!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

oh and I always brush my teeth with tap water and sing in the shower.

Not saying you will have to do the same but I am saying that bruushing teeth with tapwater never done me any harm.

Amy

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Yup, Amy is right, my wife has never had a problem with the tap water either, but I have, unfortunately.

However, it would not be prudent to say go ahead and brush your teeth and drink the tap water. That is the one piece of advice that even most tour reps, if not all tour reps, will pass along to travellers.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Also keep in mind to limit the "coconut" drinks as the coconut milk used is a natural laxative, also drinking a lot of beverages with the juices in them can cause the same thing. I brush my teeth with tap water then immediately rinse with antibacterial mouthwash, have never had a problem personally. The sun is extremely hot in Dominican and too much of it on any day can cause health issues. This combined with alcohol creates havoc on a person's system then you go eat something you would not normally eat and your body goes haywire! Everything in moderation. Enjoy your vacation, take lots of sunscreen, (and very dark sunglasses for eye protection) drink lots of bottled water and you will have a wonderful time. HJB

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

I just came back from the Majestic Elegance where there were some reports, true or not, of people getting sick.

I only got sick one night, but I know that was my fault since I drank 20 Bailey's with milk throughout the day and night. That drink is really good, lol. I also admittingly wasnt drinking enough water. This was on my day 4. I cut way back on the Irish cream and started drinking at least 2 bottles of water. I also took Pepto. Day 5 & 6, I was back to normal.

I'm a drinker and I'm very much used to alcohol, but too much of that concoction caused havoc on my stomach. On the other hand, my boyfriend ate and drank like Henry VIII and he didn't get sick whatsoever. There were many other guests who read the same reports as I did that I ran into. When they asked me if I had gotten sick, I was honest and told them it was from my own doing with alcohol vs contaminated/ill-prepared food. No need to start a frenzy.

I say wash your hands frequently, drink at least 2 small bottles of water a day especially if you are going to be drinking all day and night, and bring pepto. I find that the liquid form works better than the pill form.

Also, a huge tip from others was to use bottled water when brushing your teeth. I actually forgot to do that and didn't realize it until day 2 of my vacay. I then continued to use the tap water. I'm not saying this for all resorts, since I'm only going to comment on what I personally experienced. But it seems the Majestic Elegance water is fine for brushing your teeth.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
43 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Thanks for all the responses. The information provided was very informative. Sounds like getting sick is a nonissue as long as we use comon sense. Thanks again

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

the way I look aat it,, if you were at home in the dead heat of summer,,, standing outside for 12hrs a day, drinking all day(trying different drinks all day)... eating 3 meals(till you can hardly walk),, then snacking between those meals,, do that everyday for 7 days at home(where ever home is),, i think chances are eventually there will be a day or 2 you will not feel well

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana and getting sick

Huskie - I agree with your comment to use common sense and you should be fine. My husband and I take probiotic pills before meals. For what it's worth, out of 9 trips to Punta Cana and the Mayan Riviera, I've only had one minor stomach upset but I recently returned from a trip to Maine and was extremely sick upon return home.

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/info/diarrhea-eng.php