We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

I was researching options to call home and check on the kids and saw a post on here about getting a SIM Card - but my phone with Sprint doesn't have a SIm Card.

Can you buy a prepaid phone and card from Claro or Orange ? What would approx cost be ? Does anyone have any other suggestions ?

Thank you !!

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

Yes you can by the prepaid phones. We picked ours up at Orange (Claro is right next to it), on our way from the airport to the resort. It cost around $40.00 US, not bad for a cellphone. We took private transportation so our driver took us to a shopping centre (sorry can't remember the name) on our way to the Ambar and it was fairly close to the airport. It had a movie theatre (cineplex kind of thing) and a supermarket, inside was both Orange and Claro. The mall was fairly new. It worked perfectly for us to call back to Toronto. We were there 2 weeks and had to replace the card one. We called every day and the reception was perfect!

Edited: 10:41 am, June 17, 2011
Tampa
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

Very nice - that beats the $5 fee and $1.99/minute I'd be charged by Sprint.

Thank you so much for the response !!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

You could also buy an unlocked quad band phone from eBay very cheap and buy your sim card and minutes on the island. You could then use it on other trips in the future, even to other islands.

Edited: 11:08 am, June 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

Hi

We need to call elderly parents and kids when we travel--

we buy the Claro phonecard at the store outside the airport - it is $8 (US).

It is quick - we get the card then grab a taxi straight to the resort - no need to stop at shopping centers.

I'm not sure how many minutes it is for but it gets us through calling several times during the week - talking at least 10 minutes each time-- so it is probably a 25 - 30 minute card. Some resorts charge a $1.99 connection fee for each call, some do not.

It is very easy and we find the cheapest way to call.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

with Orange a (very basic) cheap phone with a prepaid plan will probably not cost more than RD$1500-RD$2000. If you have your own unlocked GSM phone, you can just get the sim card for a few hundred pesos. Orange works on 800/900/1900 GSM in the Dominican Republic so a quad-band (800/850/900/1900) GSM phone will get better reception than a standard US GSM phone (850/1900) .

Whether you by a phone or just a SIM card, you will need your passport, but no other information is required.

With Orange on the prepaid plan, they bill by the second. Calls within the Dominican Republic, to the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico and Haiti all cost the same. RD$0.13 per second tax inclusive. (Working out to RD$7.8 per minute (less than 21 U.S. cents)

You can add credit with cards that are sold almost literally everywhere and you can also add credit online.

When you add credit, the credit is usually good for a few months.If you don't use the number or add credit to the number in six months, you lose the phone number and would need to get another SIM card on your next trip. (Its possible to add credit to your phone online from home to keep it active on directrecharge.com - it only takes a few dollars credit every few months, and you will keep your SIM card and phone number active for your next trip.

Edited: 11:29 am, June 17, 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,771 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

Great information, I bought a "tourist" phone and it was easy to do, it even comes with a 100 pesos card. I got mine at Palma Real and yes you do need your passport.

7. Re: Claro or Orange "prepaid" phones suggestions ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 03, 2012