We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling home...i know, i know.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Calling home...i know, i know.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but now that I need the info, I can't find it. Can someone please tell me the best way they've found to call home?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling home...i know, i know.

Bring your cell phone. try it out...

i posted before that you could use a calling card, but my friend informed me that we didnt have luck w/ calling card, but calling collect worked. I called my mom collect to say happy mothers day and she would have rather I didn't cause it cost a pretty penny to accept the charges.

the second year when I tried my cell phone, i was pleasantly suprised to find I dialed my mother just as if I were calling from home. I had AT&T Wireless at the time, Im sure if you have a good network, you'll be able to get a signal... maybe swap phones w/ a family member if you dont have a good network for traveling....

?? good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
751 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling home...i know, i know.

The reason why your calling card didn't work is b/c you can't dial 800 from DR. So I have 2 suggestions: buy a calling card from your hotel's gift shop. Or, if you have a verizon cel phone, it will work down there. Verizon is their main telephone service. When I was there in Sept and again in Dec, my phone said roaming, however I was NEVER charged roaming!!

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling home...i know, i know.

As mentionned above, bring your cell phone. I have called my Cell provider here in Canada and they indicated that it should work without problems.

Have a good trip