We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picture ID

detoit,mich
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
picture ID

If one does not have a drivers licence can you use a state ID(gov"t ID issued at secretary of states(USA) and the original birth certicate to get into punta cana

mchenry,il
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: picture ID

Yes you can ... A state issued I.D. will work just fine.

detoit,mich
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: picture ID

Herewecome, thanks for the info. Also, was wondering I have a state certificate(not hospital) without the raised seal. Can only obtain this since I was adopted and this is the only record recorded with the state. Will this do? Or do I have to get a passport? Leave Feb 16th and work lot of hours 12 hour shifts

mchenry,il
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: picture ID

I believe you need one with the raised seal. I do not know how to get this if you were adopted. I got mine from the county ( the court how where I was born. Talk to your folks they have to have an offical birth cert. or call the county office, even if you were adopted ther has to be some type of offical document. I think it takes a while to get a passport.

detoit,mich
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: picture ID

Herewecome, My parents are deceased and applied to travel/state/gov't web site and this is the only form of record they can give me. Hava an appoinment tommorrow to apply for a passport, but do not want to spend lots of money. So far they quote me $250.00 to obtain in 5-7 bussiness days.

mchenry,il
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: picture ID

good luck according to my sheet on Us. citizen requirements you need an original state issued birth certificate with an affixed seal plus a valid government issued photo Id or a passport )

mchenry,il
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: picture ID

$250.00 Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: picture ID

Hear in Canada we complain about the cost of a passport!

$80.00 + the charge for a picture around 10.00 & thats canadian.

Maybe the birth certificate you have can be notorized by someone! 250. is alot of bucks!

Best of Luck!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: picture ID

I was able to obtain a new copy of my birth certificate w/ a raised seal. Had to have my drivers license to do so, I would imagine you could do the same. Only cost me $4 US bucks.

that's a heck of a lot cheaper than the passport. This will be my fourth trip using only the birth cert w/ raised seal and state issued drivers licence. call your local state office?? I know the place i got mine also did drivers licenses...

good luck!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: picture ID

I thought we HAD TO HAVE a passport to get into the DR???? We both have our ORIGINAL birth certificates and Drivers Licenses. ANY ADVICE??

Illinois
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: picture ID

My son had to apply to get an expedited passport since he delayed getting his done over winter break. He was told it was 65 dollars extra. I do not know what the cost of a passport is without the additional charge. I do know that you do not want to get to the airport and denied boarding without the raised seal. Your travel agent may be able to advise you but it will cost more to get your passport at a late date but there is most likely not another option for you unfortunately. Can you possibly go to the courthouse to get another birth certificate or if it is out of state such as myself because my original one did not have a raised seal. I was able to contact that state"s registration office by contacting my local one for the number. I then one day mailed the forms and money order to them and got it fairly quickly. Just an idea if you are unable to go to the county where your original is filed.