We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

McFarland, WI
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

OK some more questions. What is the deal with Malaria in DP? Do we need to be taking a drug to prevent it? Also I was told not to use ice in drinks and not to eat cheese or any dairy products. This sounds rather ratical to me--what is your opinons?? Thanks for your reply.

stoney creek
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

That is crazy. My Doc and the travel agent told me not to worry about malaria. The ice is made with purified water and the food is all cleaned with purified water.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

We just returned from Secrets. We did not take any malaria medicine. Both of us got a couple of bites, no big deal. The last couple of days when it wasn't so windy we did notice more bugs and used spray on our ankles. The water used for ice and for food preparation is purified. They gave us bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth. We ate, fruit, drinks with ice, salads, etc. and did not have any stomach problems.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

Guys!

This will be our 11th trip to the DR, we have only taken the anti maliara meds once & that was last year. The reason for that was is that there was a hurricaine down there & everything was a mess the year before. This disturbes the environment & the mossies are attracked to stagnet water! This is their breeding grounds. When they are on the rise in a 3rd world country, yes I would reccommed taking the anti-malaria meds.

But, also remember, these meds are procautionary ONLY, even if you take them you can still contact malaria. Yes we have had the Twinrex Hep Shots. We took the meds last year & it was possible for us to get malaria up to a years after the meds.

There were no major hurricaines last year in the DR, we are headed down in April & no we are not taking the meds. Maybe if we were going to Santa Domingo which is closer to the Haiti border we would reconsider.

Talk to your GP, he/she would be the best person to discuss this issue with.

Read up on the anti malaria meds as well as malaria, it will be an eye opener.

If you do get it you will have it the rest of your life wether you take the meds or not.

There were not any side effects for either of us from the chloriquine. We drank & ate as much if not more than we usuall do!

Go have a great Vacation!

Happy Travels!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

I eat ton of cheese, all dairy products, all fruit and veggies.. pretty much whatever I eat at home... never been sick!!! 10 trips to the DR, and a couple of more boooked..

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

PS: If you are staying at a resort they use purified water for their ice cubes.

You have to remember to keep your mouth closed in the shower as well as don't brush your teeth with tap water.

We put a sock over the faucets to remind ourselves of this.

Just a helpful tip!

Have a gooder!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

Stayed at Secrets Excellence two weeks ago...consumed many drinks with ALOT of ice...did not get sick. Ate dairy products...did not get sick. Did not consume tap water...used bottled water to brush our teeth. Did not take malaria meds...are still alive!

Brenda :~)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

The 5 lbs I gainned was from an abundance of food at Secrets Excellence.

I have been to the Dominican many many times and this will be my 5th trip back to Secrets in April.

I have never gotton sick in the Dominican,

as a matter of fact the day we came home to Canada we ordered Chineese food and I got food poisoning here.

Goes to show you ,I should have stayed in the DR and ate more food there.

GO,EAT,DRINK,RELAX AND HAVE FUN,

SB

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

sillyjilly

when in April are you going and what resort????

SB

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Dominican Republic Forums

sillyjilly

when in April are you going and what resort????

SB