We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Riu Bambu!!

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Riu Bambu!!

Just got back from Riu Bambu - ready to answer questions :-)

Irma
Level Contributor
272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Highlights and lowlights of your stay?

Mark

Saint John
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

How much do the drinks cost at the Disco?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
64 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Hi Koshka,

did you have a look at the new Riu Palace next door? How far along is the construction?

I stayed at the Bambu last september and would love to return to the complex in early May.

Thanks!

St. Louis
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Hey there koshka! I am leaving for Riu Bambu on the 19th of Feb. My boyfriend and I are very excited. Would love to know any tips. We are both very open people just wanting to have a relaxing getaway. How would you rate the resort and give advice to two people in their mid 20s going? Thanks Abbey

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Highlights - good food, very nice beach, GREAT animation team, good service (almost always).

Lowlights - bed linens ( I mean REALLY worn out, haven't seen anything like that), kids club only open 4 hours a day and not much to do for kids there, feeling of a "crowded" resort.

Drinks at the Disco - not sure, but you can always get your "dose" free of charge at the resort before going dancing :-)

New construction next door - doesnt look like it will be finished in the next few months, but never heared any noise..

I hope I will manage to write a review and post it later this week. :-)

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Hi Abbey,

Advice? Hmm. Bring your good mood, lots of singles for tipping, good sunscreen!

Don't bother with reservations at the steak house, etc. - not worth it, main buffet is much nicer..

Tip bartenders and ask for "extra vitamina" in your drinks - they will gladly do it.

Beware of Canadians at the sweam up bar - they get everyone drunk! :-)

Make friends with animation team (they are bunch of great kids!) and participate in activities - you will get a chance to win couple of bottles of rum! Don't skip evening shows - it's not Broadway, but some of them are pretty funny :-)

MD
Level Contributor
182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Koshka,

Do they serve Apple Juice at the resorts (or only tropical drinks)?

Did you go with kids? If yes, i have a ton of questions.

Thanks

ABRAMS
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

koshka,

Please give me a staight answer on the receptacles. Do we need adaptors or not? No one seems to really know. Are they for sure offered at the front desk or will I need to buy one? Any idea where to make such a purchase? I've mixed feelings on the info so far. Some say there are hairdryers in the rooms, but what about curling irons and electric razors? I don't really want to take a dryer if I won't need one,but I will need the others so will I be able to plug them in when I get there?

A huge THANK YOU,

Schmutz

Ontario
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Riu Bambu!!

Schmutz, I've been to DR twice, the RIU Bachata...you do need a type of adapter that just makes the plug fit into their wall plugs...it's not different current....they have hair dryers in all the RIU hotels I've been in (3 going to be 4)but my wife always complains they are not very strong....I've never seen curling irons, shavers, etc. at any hotel....

If they don't have any adapters at the front desk you can go to Carribean street and buy one from the drug store or one of the other shops in the RIU complex...they were cheapy cheapy, just a couple bucks...hope this helps

Chris