We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

michigan
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

I thought I read on this forum that by taking B vitamins it will help detract from mosquitos biting you. Could someone please tell me if it has to be any special B vitamins. I bought something from Sams Club that is called "B Complex" is this the right thing and is there a certain amount of time before you go before you should start taking them? We are leaving March 29. Thanks for any help you may have.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

Anecdotal reports of Vit. B1 (thiamine) would help if taken on a daily basis (50mg)and at least 1 week before but I am skeptical about it. I prefer taking some insect repellant such as DEET spray (i.e. OFF Deep Wood, Muskol,etc.) which I know really works.

No harm in taking a Vitamin B complexes which will have B1 in it.

Cajun

Toronto
Level Contributor
649 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

We have friends who swear by B complex!

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

I swear by this too. I take vitamins B and I'm the only one who never get bitten.So it must be working.Does for me anyway.Have a great trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

For all those who swear by vitamin b to ward off mosquitoes: Please point us to the evidence. Aside from anecdotal reports, where are the double blind studies??

The answer is there are none.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

For those of you who are convinced that vitamin B is effective against mosquitoes, try reading this medical article by one of the worlds leading mosquito authorities. If you still believe in B after reading it, you may want to consider vitamin A for warding off flying saucers.:

www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/11/931

DVB
Plainfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

Rainbowfish, I took B12, starting about 2 weeks before I traveled, which was 1/15 thru 1/22/06. The Secrets Excellence also gives you B Complex at the front desk if you would like. Mosquitos love me, if I am in a crowd nobody else will get bitten and I always do. So here is what I did, I was extra careful not to use perfume of any kind, also did not use any lotion with perfume smells to it. I actually used Avon Skin-So-Soft after showering for moisture. I got absolutely no bites at all the entire week. I have to say that I attribute this to all the above, vitamins, no perfumes and the fact that there was a constant breeze at the resort the entire time. Hope this helps.

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

I just know it works for me and that is good enough

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

I Believe it has to be B12, it is supposed to work, but like most things, not for everyone. mossies love me, so I am going to try it, along with my Watkins repellent, (A Must) LOL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

DVB: "Skin So Soft" has proven insect repellent properties, though the effective repellent period is 10 times less than 12.5% DEET. Your method may have worked,( though your evidence is anecdotal) but your treatment, which included B, also included a scientifically proven repellent.

To use an old quote: "The sun doesn't rise because the rooster crows"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: B VITAMIN for mosquito repellant!!!

Aside from the medicinal odour, what is wrong with Deet? It is proven effective and has been used for 40 years. It also has been tested for years to determine toxicity and has, time and again, always been scientifically verified as being extremely safe. Check the link I gave in my post above for data.