We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone had a wedding recently?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria BC
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone had a wedding recently?

We're trying to research a resort in DR to have our wedding. If anyone has had a wedding or saw a wedding at any of these resorts, please let me know?

Melia Caribe, Paradisus Palma Real, Paradisus Punta Cana, Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana?

Or any other resorts?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

First of all I want to tell anyone getting married or thinking of getting married at Secrets that is the best decision of their lives.

We arrived at Secrets (via airtransat holidays, club transat seats) at 12 pm on Sunday April the 2 and were greeted at the front desk by our wedding coordinator Yvette and Annemarie.

We were given cool cloths to wipe our faces and mimosas to drink as the head of the reception dept. (Orlando) welcomed us home. (Very sweet)

We met with Yvette later the afternoon and gave her the dresses and tuxes and all our other stuff we brought (cake topper and toasting goblets ect.ect.)

We picked our flowers, gave her our music C/D and arranged everything quite painlessly, and then went away to relax.

We stayed at Secrets for two weeks. The first week was in building #7 ocean view overlooking the pool/ocean/and swim up bar. We stayed in this room until the morning of our wedding Friday April 8th. and then up graded to the honeymoon suit in building 14 for the next 10 days (best thing we ever did amazing room and view and we took lots of opportunity with our hot tub on the balcony).

After we got settled in, my soon to be husband went to get a massage at the elevated beach hut with his best man ($40.us each 30 min.) He was a little nervous as this was our wedding day, and the massage helped him a lot.

My maid of honour and my self went off to the spa (beautiful) to get pampered and ready for our 6:30 wedding.(Serge was to meet me at the spa at 5pm.for pics before)

At the spa they did our hair and makeup and pedicures (worth every penny) I am a hairdresser back in Toronto and I am very fussy. They did an amazing job on both of us.

Yvette our wedding coordinator was with us every step of the way. She had our wedding dresses, flowers and everything else we needed waiting for us at the spa when we arrived.

I ordered long stem white calla lilies and orange roses with lots of green stuff (they were beautiful)

When we were ready Yvette called Serge’s room and he came down to meet me at the spa.(very emotional moment, be prepared),My heart was pounding a mile a minute and when he saw me he almost started to cry.

Our amazing photographer Arturo (ask for him) took us all around the resort taking our pics, everyone clapped and said congratulations to us ,(it was very lovely.) We also got the DVD of the wedding and it was worth every cent.

By 5:45 my maid of honour and I were back in the lobby waiting for the carriage to take us to the wedding gazebo where Serge and Andy were waiting for us.

The carriage arrived at the wedding gazebo at 6:15pm; Andy walked Fia up the isle and then walked me up the isle to Serge.

Everything was so magical and so perfect,

We both exchanged our own vows and did a sand ceremony. Serge and I have never experienced such a romantic moment in our lives, and will never forget it.

After we were married we had a very romantic first dance as the sun went down (the sky was blue and purple and gold) then we cut our cake and fed it to each other (we picked the almond cake, it was delicious) We also had a dance with our best man and maid of honour as well.

After the ceremony Yvette arranged for us to have our wedding dinner in the French restraunt (best choice)

As we walked in the restraunt everyone cheered and clapped. The table was set with white linen chair covers and big bows, rose petals scattered all over the table and champagne.

We had the hearts of palm salad and then the pumpkin soup (delicious) the main course (highly recommended) was the chateaubriand (you gotta try this stuff we went back 3 times after the wedding)

After the main course they bring your wedding cake to the table for dessert (I had not had cake in a year, diet, so it was extra, extra good)

Then just when we thought the day was over, (Yvette had saved the best surprise for last)

We went back to our room 14204 to find on the door a huge banner (HONNEYMOONERS)(now on our bedroom door at home). When we entered our room what we saw took our breath away....

Candles everwere, on the floor around the Jacuzzi, just everywhere. Rose petals all over the floor the bed the bathroom .There must have been at least 4 or 5 dozen of them. Decorated towel figures everywere, hearts doves, swans,

It took our breath away. A big basket of fruit, all our wedding flowers, our beautiful cake topper cleaned and on the table surrounded by a heart of lilted t-light candles and of course a big silver bucket and a bottle of champagne.

Never in all of our wildest dreams did we ever expect this.

We always felt like we were the only bride and groom at the resort. The personalized attention to detail was beyond anything we could have ever expected and Yvette and everyone else at Secrets gave as the most magical wedding anyone could have ever asked for

Andy and Fia left on the Sunday and this gave us a week to ourselves......

Our honeymoon was just as amazing with lots of little perks,

Our romantic dinner in the Mexican restraunt under the stars was also suburb (we had steak and lobster, yum, yum)

The rest of our honeymoon I will leave to your imagination (sorry some things are private you know)

All I can say is everyone at Secrets Excellence was amazing, the food was spectacular, and the resort was soooooooo beautiful,

The beach was very wavy in the front (go boogie bording,lots of fun) and if you want calm waters just walk 5min. to the left or right of the resort. Here you got it all!!!!!

Try the mamajuanna...We did ....after all its all-inclusive ya know!

We are going back in April for our 1st anniversary to see all our new friends............

Congrats to anyone getting married there or having their honeymoon. Enjoy every moment in paradise; it will be over before you know it...

Love to all

Theresa and Serge Boileau

xoxo

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

Like SB said.. Secrets does awesome weddings.

We just got married there, and it was simply a dream.. they really know what they are doing compared to other resorts.

I have seen many weddings on the beaches in the Caribbean, and let me tell you Secrets makes it a real classy event.. From the horse drawn carriage ride to the reception dinner afterwards, and the stunningly decorated room when you get back.. The photographer is incredible!!!! My friends can't believe the picures I got!!

100% satisfaction here and I heard the same from some brides I have talked to at the resort!!!

Highly recommend it!!

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

I've read a lot of great reviews about weddings at Secrets. However, we do have family with kids who will be coming, so Secrets wouldn't be good, since it's an adult only resort.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

If you got kids with you go to Bahia Principe!!

It was great.. awesome place for a family wedding.. I saw a wedding there.. after the ceremony at Pueblo Principe and they all had an awesome time dancing and partying.

Or you can go to Paradisus Palma Real if you have the extra funds.. That one is great!

But ultimately value for the money is at Bahia!!

Congrats!

menominee,mi
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

Hi,we're getting married at the Melia Caribe Tropical in march. We have Everything we need to make it legal except the affidavit stating we're single from the dominican embassy.

Has any ever needed this? Do you know how to get one? Thanks sooooo much!!!!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

There is a sample single affidavit on

dominicanrepublicservices.com

just print it, and fill your own information in.. we did it, and it was good.

Congratulations!

menominee,mi
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

Bellasky or anyone,

I was wondering if the single affidavit that I printed off from the site of dominicanrepublicservices.com is good in the United States resident even though this site is from Canada?

Thanks much

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

woody!!

yes, it is.. for sure!!

My husband is American, residing in New Jersey.. we used the single affidavit printed off the dominicanrepublicservices.com site.. we had it translated by them as well, but it will work in the USA..

You can send the sample to wedo to double check, if you are worried..

Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone had a wedding recently?

I am getting married at the Gran Bahia in April. I have only heard really good things, but just remember it is what you make it!! There are lots of reviews and people have lots of great things to say about it! Good luck deciding..the Dominican is beautiful no matter where you go!