We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

I'm a "newbie" to Punta Cana. My husband, myself, along with another couple will be staying 7 nights at the "Allegro Punta Cana" in March. I've heard both good and bad reviews. We're going with an open mind and planning on having fun, and making the best out of any situation. We'd appreciate any tips, recommendations, bits of advice that you could give us that might make our stay more enjoyable. Thanks for your help!

Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

Miska:

Nice pics! Thanks!

:)

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

If I can offer a couple more points that did confuse some folks - if you're a US citizen, and your travel agent hasnt' given you one, you'll probably have to pay $20pp or so for a tourist card in addition for the $20pp departure tax when you leave. Some Canadian tour operators included this, while others did not, and I think most Americans didn't have one on arrival. You'll know whether you have it or not as it's a 2-part detachable, hologrammed piece of paper with your tickets. What you have to do when you land is his the "Tourist Card" kiosk on your way through Customs, and they process you quickly (don't show up at Customs without it, or they'll send you back to buy one).

On your way back to the airport, if you don't like the thought of a $3 coke, a $5 slice of pizza, or a $5 can of pringles, bring a snack from the hotel (make your own sandwich at the sandwich bar and bring a Ziploc. I think they have bottled Pepsi & 7-up at the beach bar, so a small tip will probably get you one for the road.

Finally, my drink of choice is coffee, and the coffee in the room is good (Nice Dark Dominican), but they don't supply whitener. Little packets of whitener or a small bottle of non-dairy creamer is good to take (you can run to the 'coffee station' just outside the pool and get some there as well). Want more coffee in your room? A buck or two gratuity and a smile got me 2 extra packets every day.

We also tossed a couple of older bath towels into the free space of our luggage and left them with the maid on departure. They seem to live in a compound off the resort, and I'm sure these things and leftover toiletries are appreciated. Our philosophy is "if you can buy a replacement at home, leave it there.."

Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

Thanks "Firstlastonly"...

Keep the "tips and suggestions" coming.....

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

We'll be there this Friday the 27th until Feb. 3rd. Looking forward to meeting up with some fellow travellers from near and far to share some laughs and hoist a drink or five. Anyone else bringing their kids? My daughter 15 and my sons 8 and 11 would like the company and their Mom and I would like them to kept as busy as possible!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

Firstlastonly, did you go on any excursions offered by the hotel? I was going to include our family on the Saona Island and snorkling tour. Do you have any experience with either one?

Michigan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

CaribbeanDreaming:

Let me know how your vacation was.....when you get back/ we leave March 6th! Anxious to here how good of time you had!

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
265 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

My 9 yr old daughter will be with me from 2/26 - 3/4. Look for us in the pool, we'll have one blue and one pink blow up pool lounger.

Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

No, we didn't get out to any of the excursions. The time away from the resort and the long bus ride didn't appeal to us. I don't recall the cost of them, but thrill of the various events vs. their cost seemed a bit out of line. (ie. "Swimming with Sharks" and "Swimming with Dolphins" were each about $75US from what I overheard).

I'll send a note to one of the couples we met there for more info on the Island tour..I think they investigated it more thoroughly, and may have some info to share.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

We,re in total agreement with "firstlastonly"

we were there last week of March 04 and had a fantastic time.

May be its just us Canadians eh!

ontario canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Allegro Punta Cana Occidental information

Re: Saona Island tour.

This was the highlight of our trip.

We are are returning to Punta Cana this March Break just for this reason.

Advertised price this year is $82US

Not sure how old your children are but we don't remember seeing any on our trip.

If you would like more details contact us, either here or e-mail us at smoothiedw@hotmail.com