We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

Help!!! My husband and I (age 40's) are trying to decide which resort to book for April 22 - 29th. We had originally decided on Secrets but then read some disturbing reviews and changed our minds to Paradisus. However, I've now read that we might get a little bored there. Prices are close so price is not the issue. HELP!!! We need to book soon.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

We have been looking at the Paradisus Palma Real website, and it looks very nice. It just opened in December and has recieved very good reviews. I think it would depend highly on what kind of a deal you could possibly get. You are looking at a time that is not a high travel time for children, so that should not be a huge factor.

Because Paradisus is new, they may not have all of their activities available. They may not have as many people either. If you like to meet people, Secrets may be more of what you want.

You said that you have read some disturbing reviews about Secrets. We will be returning to Secrets for our 6th trip in April. If you would like, you may email me with your concerns, and either my husband or I may be able to help you.

sackley@neo.rr.com

Shelly

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

VTfan:

My husband and I and another couple just returned from Secrets last Monday evening. We are also 40ish. I am a picky eater and enjoy the finer things in life...Secrets did not disappoint me.

We had a great time! Trust me, you won't be bored. We met a lot of nice couples!

I sometimes wonder if the people that have posted negative reviews about Secrets actually stayed at the same resort that we did????

Brenda :~)

Denver, Co.
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

My wife and I are also trying to decide on the Paradisus Palma Real. We are also considering Le Blanc in Cancun. We are in our early 50's. We are looking at going the same time in April so maybe we can get together if we both end up there at the same time. The PPR sounds like heaven to me. I think all of the facilities should be open by then and I think there should be plenty of activites. I don't think that there will be many kids there either at that time of year. My email address is jorenst@comcast.net if you want to email me.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

The posts from people that were there in January said there was still a lot of contsruction to complete. If yo have never been to the DR, you will not realize that they are not concerned with things happening fast.

Also the week after Easter begins their off season which continues to go through September and then begins to pick up. High season is December - mid-April. They may not have as much happening even if everything has been completed because it isn't as busy of a time.

Becuase it is a new resort, there are people who stay away for awhile until they have established themselves.

However, they are a new hotel, so they may have more up by then. It is hard to say. I know from experience though that April usually is a time for them to slow down.

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

Paradisus is almost all booked through the summer, they only have garden view rooms left for most days in May and July so I don't think people are staying away...but there might be contruction going on. It didn't seem to bother the three people who have posted so far..but it depends on you. Based on my research of what they will be offering once they are at ful speed (go to their web-site) it seems that they will have more to offer in the way of activities than secrets. They include golf, horse back riding (so does secrets), they will have motorized water sports and atv tour and stuff like that.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

Did you get the booking info from a travel agency? I just went to the sol melia website, and there are several different rooms available. Travel agents are only given a certain number of rooms, so that will give the appearance of being booked.

I never said that anyone was staying away, but the posts that I read stated that there were not many guests there.

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
383 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

No, I called the 888-95-Melia number and talked to a rep there who said there were only garden view rooms left for much of May and July, and I also put in my dates on their web-site for both May and July and there were only garden view rooms showing available. I did ask the rep weather specific rooms were specified as royal service or if any room can add royal service and she said that any room can be royal service. So I can book a garden view room now and add the royal service later if I wanted to and it would be the same room category.

Ontario, Ohio
Level Contributor
799 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

I wonder what the big rush for May and July are... I put in dates in June and had an open field. Who knows. The place does look very nice. We may check it out if things do not go well with Secrets changeover at the end of this year.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

Thanks everyone for your input. We ended up booking Paradisus Palma Real. Since it looks so nice and luxurious we thought the price might go up in the future and this would be our last chance to experience it! Besides, last time I checked the price for Secrets had exceeded the price for Paradisus by a couple hundred dollars. The prices for Paradisus (I'm sure it was airfare) were a little lower this morning (maybe those people who say Wednesdays are good days for lower prices are right!). We booked through Orbitz, the agents we spoke with couldn't touch the price Orbitz was quoting. I understand why and I would feel much better if I could have booked directly with an agent but for $600 difference I had to take my chances!

Next question:

Anyone have an suggestions on getting from the airport to the resort? The package does not include transfers.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradisus Palma Real or Secrets Excellence

bump for DrFab