We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to have Ice Cubes????

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to have Ice Cubes????

Hello,

I was just speaking with my parents, and the question came up about Ice Cubes. Since I am the one who has planned this whole trip, and its my first time to Punta Cana, I was wondering if anyone knows if It is all right to eat/drink the ice cubes at the resorts????? I am staying at the Grand Flamenco, does it matter which resort you are staying at????

Any info would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

hi holly913. i think you will find ice is shipped in from the u.s

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

Hi Holly

Well it's really up to you I guess.

For myself I don't want to take any chances, so I'm sticking to bottled water, and no ice! I'm sure there are some resorts that have ice made from purefied water. Actually I read that you can tell if the ice is made from purefied water if it has like a little hole in it...

You should probably get a Hepatitus A, B, C (whichever one it is) shot before you go though, if you are planning on drinking the water, just to be on the safe side?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

on the bus from the Airport I was told by the driver that the water to make ice is spring water and all the water that the use for drinking is brought in and is safe for all the guests. Do not worry about and water that is served we drank the water that was poured in our glass at all the resturants and did not get sick... PS we say them pour the spring water into the refigerated tank. They will tell you not to drink the tap water.

Boston,MA
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

I was at Allegro and had multiple frozen drinks . .and drinks with ice cubes . . .I had absolutely no stomach problems.

ON, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

I have been to Dominican many times and have drank the wat er and drank many drinks with ice cubes and I have never got sick on a trip. I think most people blame their sickness on the water but it is caused from the climate change, different food, too much sun and eating 10x more fruit than you would normlly eat. Off the resort I would only drink bottled water and leave out the ice.

ON, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

I have travelled south many many times and have never had a problem with the water or ice. On a resort their water would be filtered. People think they get sick from the water/ice when in reality I think it is from a climate change to their body, too much sun, different food and eating 10x more fruit than normal. Off the resorts if touring I drink only bottled water and bottled beer at local bars and restaurants as you never know where theeir water is from. I have also always brushed my teeth with the tap water and never had a problem. Hope this helps.

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

Ive never had a problems, but don't go and get some. They'll put some in your drinks, and those are fine. I don't think you need then for anything else. If theres ice cubes at the buffet, don't eat them because you can never be too sure.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

Hello Holly! I heard all the ice cubes are made with filtered water! I had no problem with them or the slushy drinks they served!

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

thanks for all the replys!!!!!!

p.s. I did get my hep a and b shots!

cowtown
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to have Ice Cubes????

My sister has traveled every year for the last 13 years to the carribean, since this is my first trip I asked her about the food and water thing. She told me she only had one run in the whole time she has travelled. She went shopping outside of the resort, and not thinking, ordered a slush from a market. After the slush, she said she was sick for a day and a half. Since then she only drinks bottled water outside the resorts.