We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain 3x a day?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago Suburbs
10 posts
Save Topic
Rain 3x a day?

I had a friend visit Punta Cana in November of 2004. She told me it rained 3x a day and november isn't even the rainy season. When she had arrived she noticed an umbrella in the room. She thought it was left by the previous visitors. She came to find out it was the hotel's umbrella and every room had one. I haven't read anything about this in any reviews. A collegue and I are planning a trip over spring break(END OF MARCH.)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain 3x a day?

Yes it does rain and normally they are brief showers. What a nice touch for the hotel to provide an umbrella!

I normally take a totes type umbrella in my luggage and also a disposable plastic poncho on the off chance I will be caught in a shower.

But not to worry too much they don't last long and then the sun shines again for a great day!

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain 3x a day?

It's very rare that it will rain 3 times a day for a week.. there are brief showers, but not all the time!!

Many resorts provide umbrellas for their guests, since it often rains at night, and people do have to get to the restaurants, and bars from their rooms..

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain 3x a day?

March should be OK weather wise. We were in POP in December 2004 and it rained steadily for 4 days. I think that year was bad because Nov, Dec and Jan. had unusually high number or rainy days. We were at Bayahibe one year the first part of March and it only sprinkled a couple of times in the evening for about 15 minutes and that was it.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain 3x a day?

Well, I'm sure that we had a few visitors from away on September 29, 2003 when Hurricane Juan hit Halifax full force. When they returned home I am sure that they told tales of the hurricane plagued Maritime Provinces of Canada - even though it is only about a once in 20 year probability (the previous direct hit was hurricane Beth on August 15-16, 1971, some 22 years earlier.

My point is that your friend happened to have her vacation during an anomalous time in the DR and sometimes this just happens with weather. It happens at home and it happens in the Tropics.

Gregg

Toronto
Level Contributor
649 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain 3x a day?

Gregg, we can always count on you for the voice of reason!! Thanks for putting things into perspective!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain 3x a day?

I stayed in Puerta Plata in Feb/05 and it rained 5 of the 7 days there. I'm not taking about quick short showers ... it rained all day and very very hard!

The only good thing about the rain is that I was so dissapointed with that trip as soon as i returnd I booked another one March!

I will never return to Domincian Republic in March