We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
192 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

I feel like this came up in a posting somewhere and I wanted to see if anyone else had any information.

This yogurt drink claims to boost immunity in the stomach (www.danactive.com). Has anyone taken it before they headed to DR? Does it help?

Has anyone's dr recommended taking it?

It seems like it can't hurt?

Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
649 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

We use to do the yougourt thing until we discover acidiphlus ---the same active cultures you find in a yougourt but a whole lot more of them. You can buy them in the pharamacy section with vitamins. They work for us really well!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

Many of the resorts provide yogurt during breakfast. I have travelled on occasion with the "yogurt" pills as well however you will most likely benefit from the yogurt at the resort. Yogurt functions by filling up your gut with beneficial bacteria, allowing less room for bad bacteria to multiply. Picture a parking lot that is full with no available spots for the bad guys.

I do not believe yogurt offers protection against stomach parasites, however the bacterial infections are more common in the resorts. Ask your doctor to prescribe Cyprofloxacin to take along in case you do become ill with gastroenteritis. The Cypro usually brings considerable relief within 24 hours. Also stay away from any raw vegetables or fruits that cannot be peeled.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,370 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

TT, I'm surprised that you of all people recommend bringing along antibiotics as a "just-in-case". All the news here has been about NOT taking them unless your doctor has diagnosed you are ill with a bacterium. Mass and indiscriminate (and many times inappropriate) antibiotic consumption has resulted in high and increasing resistance to them, unfortunately.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

Jenazz: Your point is well taken...however...lets say you're in the Dominican Republic and you're ill with a bout of severe gastroenteritis and all its wonderful symptoms. You have to get on a bus with your spouse and travel for an hour or two, maybe to get back to the airport on time. Are you going to worry about a positive diagnosis at that time? Or to the worldwide increasing resistance to antibiotics? If you were to be in that situation I'd bet you would eat a Cyprofloxacin sandwich if it was offered.

There are times when antibiotics are a life saver.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,370 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

Honestly, I'd take bottled water, dry bread/crackers, sports drinks or pedialyte if available, and of course immodium, first. Antibiotics aren't going to immediately stop all those, umm, delightful symptoms, or re-hydrate you etc.

I'm all for drugs, where they're the right ones.

Grosse Pointe...
Level Contributor
182 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

I'm leaving for Punta Cana on 1/25, and I'm currently taking Acidophilus pills. My sister went last year and said the pills worked really well for her. I'm not 1005 they really work, but I'm taking them anyway.

Stony Plain, Alberta
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

MelbaLalala, just look up "cultrelle" in the search field and it will bring up that thread that you're thinking of. I went and bought some of those acidiphillus (sp?) pill and they didn't cost much at all. I will probably start taking them in February to be prepared for my March trip. I can't stand yogurt so I was really glad when I read that thread (I didn't know such a thing existed)...I went out and bought some right away!

Toronto
Level Contributor
649 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

As stated before we stand proudly behind the acidiphilus. Furthermore we take them all year long and (knocking on wood) for several years have not had the flu etc.

Vancouver bc
Level Contributor
331 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

I start taking Acidophilus 3 weeks before we leave. Have not had problems since. It can't hurt. We also take some of our own bottled water about 5 or 6 each to last the first few days. SO you aren't changing over to theres too fast.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DanActive yogurt before you go for stomach problems?

I always recommend that you don't travel to a foreign land without easily affordable and readily available travel medical insurance. Most of our most frequented resorts have an on-site doctor who will be the best one to prescribe an anti-biotic, quickly put you on an IV for an hour before departure, or anything else that you may need.

Should something happen mid-stay they would likely treat it differently than if you need more instant relief as you are checking out. They are well equipped and well experienced with all forms of traveller's stomach.

Kaki