We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last known Hurricane In DR.

London, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Last known Hurricane In DR.

Does the Two PC Mikes know when (If any)the last hurricane or big tropical storm that hit or bothered DR>Punta Cana Area,and to what extent of any damage caused to any of the resorts??.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
1. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

On Sept 16th of 2004...Hurricane Jeanne...Cat 1...caused flooding more than anything, especially in Uvero Alto.

Since then...nothing of concern.

Cheers

PCMike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
2. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

Only 14 hurricanes since 1876. Only 3 since 1946!!!

Cheers

PCMike

Montreal
Level Contributor
261 posts
3. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

3 in 64 years and when i went in november the hurricane hit haiti and dumped rain on us for like 2 days..

i actually was looking up on the history of hurricanes that hit the DR, since i went during hurricane season and wanted to know what my odds where of getting hit by one but the stuff i read said it is so rare that the DR gets hit.

i tracked the storm every day when it formed and it slowly crept along the south( in the sea) and i got there when it was starting to turn NE over haiti..

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
4. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

BTW.....we have never had an unknown hurricane! LOL

nfo on the area's hurricanes can be found here...

http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/elmacao.htm

Cheers

PCMike

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
27 helpful votes
5. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

If your wondering if there is any damage from last season, I would have to say no.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
6. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

Why would we have damage from last year? As I mentioned, the last hurricane to impact the area was 2004....6 years ago!

Cheers

PCMike

chicago
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
13 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

2009 had one pass when were there but was over 100 miles out to sea and we just got some rain from the outskirts, the chance you take in Oct and Sept

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
64,015 posts
75 reviews
1,889 helpful votes
8. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

Hi

We were on the island when Hurricane Jeanne hit and as I have said many times before we felt safe and were very well looked after

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
32 reviews
47 helpful votes
9. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

Flip...you were at ground zero! The biggest issue being the flooding. That area is only a few feet above sea level and actually on the inland side where the rice fields start...at sea level, thus nowhere for the water to go!

Cheers

PCMike

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
64,015 posts
75 reviews
1,889 helpful votes
10. Re: Last known Hurricane In DR.

Mike

We were actually at the Melia Caribe Tropical on that trip but do know from taking with Emilio Huhn who was the GM with EPC at that time of the problems they had

Spent a lot of time with Emilio this summer in Jamaica

Sheena and I did think at one point on our trip that we would go back to the UK with webbed feet

Edited: 12:44 pm, January 13, 2011