We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clerify the TAX for you!!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
Clerify the TAX for you!!!

just returned from DR you do not have to pay any tax to get in to DR just $20 to leave that is it. You have to fill out a card when you get there and when you leave but that is it!!

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

We just went December 2005.. Had to pay $10 each to get in.. and nothing to leave.. We came from New York.. So why do some pay $20 each when leaving???

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

Akam, some pay and some don't it depends on which tour operator you are traveling with and what they have arranged with their particular packages.

It is different with the folks from Canada then it is with folks traveling from the US and in the US it is different from Apple to Go go or whatever Tour Company you have arranged your travel with.

Hope this helps a bit. This has always confused me too!

all the best,

baltobabe/mt

Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

Hey guys!

You are talking 2 different countries, USA & Canada departures.

In Canada we all get our tourist card included in our package from our tour company. But we do have to pay the departure Tax of $20. US each PP including the children.

I have heard the the Americans & people from the UK have to BUY their tourist card at a fee of $10.US.

I am sure this is where people are getting themsleves confused. Different coutries do this differently.

Have a great trip!

Welland, ON
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

Baltobabe is right. It has nothing to do with what country you're from. All that matters is what your tour provider includes in your package. Most tour providers include the tourist card. Therefore, no need for those people to pay $10 coming in.

The last time I travelled to the Dominican (with World of Vacations) the $20 exit tax was included in our package.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

No tourist gets a free ride.]

Upon entry there is a $10US charge per person for the DR Tourist Card.

Upon exit there is a $20per person DR Departure Tax payable.

Here is where it gets interesting:

Americans (usually) have to buy the Tourist Card for cash at the Arrival Airport BUT the Departure Tax is included in the taxes section of the airline ticket and is prepaid with the airfare.

Canadians (usually) receive their Tourist Card as part of their package and it is prepaid in their package price. The Departure Tax is payable in cash at the Departure Airport before boarding.

British people (usually) have to buy the Tourist card for cash at the Arrival Airport and pay the Departure Tax in cash at the Departure Airport before boarding.

The methodology may vary among different nationalities and Tour Operators but ALL TOURISTS PAY, one way or the other.

Gregg

Welland, ON
Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

Gregg, you are correct that all tourists pay. BUT, some tour companies do include the exit tax in their package. You still pay for it, but not necessarily cash at the airport.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Clerify the TAX for you!!!

I agree sunnyandwarm, and that's what it says in the Americans section of my post.

Gregg