We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

Northbrook, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

Has anyone ever requested car seats in taxis from the Punta Cana airport? My wife and I are bringing our boys (ages 6 and nearly 3) to Sunscape The Beach at the end of March. Having been to Secrets, we know the drive from the airport to those northern resorts can be a little crazy. We can't imagine not having them in car seats on a drive like that.

I can't imagine I'm the firt parent to ask about this, since Sunscape The Beach caters to families with young kids.

Do you know of any companies that offer mini van taxis with car seats for kids?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Northbrook, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

Can anyone help me out here?

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

Wow..great question chicagomark. I really have never even thought of that. I usually book through a tour company that has bus transfers to the hotel included and I can tell you there are no seat belts on the bus!! I'd have to say it's highly unlikely that there would be child car seats in the Dominican but I don't know for sure. If you keep this bumped up near the top, maybe one of the local experts will know. They used to have "travel" type booster seats available where the seat part folded up into the back part and they were made of sturdy foam covered in car seat fabric. They were pretty light and easy to carry so if they still have them available, maybe you could look into it. I had one for my child and I got it at Toys R Us. Might be handy on the plane too? They are really just to boost the child up so that a seat belt fits properly.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

I am no car seat safety expert so take what I am going to say with a grain of salt, BUT...

I have never seen a car seat in the DR in a taxi; nor have I ever seen a taxi with a "proper" anchor point to which you could attach a car seat if you brought your own.

It's been a lot of years since I've had any experience with car seats (my son is 25 now) but when we had one for him I seem to remember a cautionary note that using it without the proper tether connected to a primary anchor point could be more dangerous than only using a seat belt. Maybe this is still true - maybe not (as the seats have undoubtedly evolved) but PLEASE do your homework first not after it's too late.

Good luck and decide based on the facts, whatever they may be.

Gregg

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

As I understand it, the car seat as a commodity is very expensive to them and the hook up involves extra cost too. You say you are traveling in March. Sr. Silva with www.dominicantaxi.com is planning on adding the feature to his service in the near future based on what he has heard as customer demand. You can contact him and see if he has a timeline that will meet with yours, and get a quote for the transfer.

Maybe the best that we can go on right now is the possibility of a solution for the future!

Kaki

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

Just called a Taxi driver with a van in Higuey and he knows of none with car seats in his area. He will ask on his next run to PUJ (Punta Cana Airport) and email me with info.

If you can't find one I would take the tour bus to the resort. A bunch more metal around you compared to a van or taxi cab.

Kevin

Northbrook, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

I'll get in touch with Mr. Silva, and drugdog, I'm eager to hear what your tax driver contact says. We may just need to take a bus. Will that be a problem, since we booked directly and not through Apple?

Bathurst, Canada
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

I don't think they even know what a car seat is.Man you see all those kids on their moms laps riding on those motorcycles.I do take the bus to the resort but last year we took a cab to Cabarete and the drive was even faster than the bus .I told myself I would never take a cab again.Good luck hope you find soemthing. Have a safe trip.

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

Dominican Republic is a third world country, most people have not seen a car seat before. Just hold on to your kids and ride the taxi.

Northbrook, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

The "just hold onto your kids" option simply isn't going to work in a real car accident. My family has experienced serious car accidents before. My wife would be dead were it not for seat belts and airbags. So this is an important issue for us.

That said, I understand that the D.R. is a Third World country. That doesn't mean we just need to throw caution to the wind. We may simply take a big bus. While slower, it will win in most any colission.

On a side note... I did hear back promptly from Mr. Silva, who informs me that no Punta Cana taxi services currently offer car seats.

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car seats in taxis/vans from Punta Cana airport?

My only suggestion is bring your own car seats, airlines will transport them free. However, many of the taxis in D. R. do not have functioning seat belts for you to attach the car seat.

If you are in a package tour, they will send a bus to pick up all the guests to the hotel. So there is no need to ride a taxi.