We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peanut Allergy Alert

Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
Peanut Allergy Alert

Anyone with a peanut or nut allergy recently come back from Bahia Principe or other hotel in D.R., Did you have any food issues while down there??

Going in February with 9 year old with peanut and nut allergy.

Scared Mom

toronto
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peanut Allergy Alert

Momontherun,

My husband and I are going to the Melia Caribe at the end of January without our children. I also have a 10 year old with a severe peanut allery. I will be scouting the grounds when we are there. So I will let you know what its like when we get back. It is very scary to travel. We still have yet to travel with our son. Good luck. Talk to you soon.

Trishromance

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peanut Allergy Alert

Momontherun...I have been to the Bahia Principe twice with my young child who has a severe peanut allergy. The first time was in 2004 and there were no peanuts anywhere to be found. There were other tree nuts usually with the dessert items on the buffet but no peanuts which is one reason why we decided to return to this resort. We returned again this past December and there were peanuts everywhere. They were out in open dishes in the lobby and on the buffets. They were in open dishes in the club office and store. I was panicking for sure. We had to keep my daughter away from the lobby area and she walked around with hand sanitizer and I had to use wet naps to rub off any surface she was going to touch. It was a nightmare!! I am happy to say that she did not have any reaction while there but if you plan on going to the Bahia Principe, perhaps you can call or e-mail your concern to them. It may just have been something special that they were doing for the Christmas/New Years season but I had a very hard time trying to explain why it was such a danger for my daughter and no one did anything about it. You have to understand that they probably don't have a clue about these types of allergies and the onus really is on us parents to ensure our child's safety while we are there.

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peanut Allergy Alert

Momontherun...I forgot to mention that as far as the food that she ate at the buffet and the a la carte restaurants, there were no problems there but we were very picky and cautious and she ate a lot of bread, fruit vegetables and french fries!! We take a lot of nutritious snacks with us when we travel and there is a mini fridge in the suites and refrigerated items do survive the trip if you have a cooler bag with ice packs as one of your carry on bags.