We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

This is for a friend.......She wants to know a good resort with some activities for toddlers.......

My question is regarding calling cards for Canadians.....I looked into it but found ALL the international calling cards (the ones I looked at anyways) are for we canadians calling from Canada to another country.........I would like the name of one that we can call home FROM Punta Cana to Canada...........Thank you !!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

I have always just emailed my room number to my family on my arrival and then they can call us in Punta Cana. Much easier and much less expensive....

ontario
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Or if you take your laptop there's always Skype.

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
744 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

You can also get international texting put on your cell, this is how we keep in touch......also the resort we stayed at (IFA) had a calling center where you can use their phones, I think it was $1 a minute ........

Shediac, Canada
Level Contributor
744 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

You can also get international texting put on your cell, this is how we keep in touch......also the resort we stayed at (IFA) had a calling center where you can use their phones, I think it was $1 a minute ........

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
461 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Make sure if you get the international texting turned on your phone that they update the URL on your phone. We contacted Telus to get this done and our phone would not work at all when we were down there. When we returned they said "oops" we forgot to activate the URL. A tad late to realize that.

Oshawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,869 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Many times we would simply just send text messages back and forth , but more recently it is easier and more cost effective to send emails.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
7. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Rogers has an international texting and calling plan - reasonable rates (about $1 minute to call I believe). You can buy text only packages or text/calling with 15 minute plans, 30 minute, 60 minute etc. We used it while in Cuba and was much easier than trying to constantly walk down to the internet area and find an available computer etc. Should be available in DR b/c they have a Caribbean plan. Call about week before you go to activate it & confirm it's indeed in place (we had to call twice b/c first time they forgot to put it on our package)! It's good for one month from date you want it activated. We also texted our room # back to family and they called us at resort at pre-arranged time. Cheaper option than calling from there!

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
604 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Buy a $20 card at the resort. You can call home several times without trouble.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Take a look at the melia. Great baby/toddler club as well as large toddler splash pool as well as a zero entry area in the regular pool. Very nice beach. And the hotel offers family suites which are converted junior suites which a curtain that seperates the kids sleeping area from the adults - helps to ensure that child gets a good sleep while parents can stay up in the evenings. Very large resort though and with a toddler, a stroller will probably be required to get around.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Canadian with a couple of ?'s please ..

Thank you so much for all your replies........I do not bring a laptop or a cell to D.R. but I think I will look into getting a "calling card" there.......if someone knows the name of a good one, I would like to know......thx

I may also email the room # to my son ICE (in case of emergency) .....My family has the phone # to the resort here at home but I thought it would be less stress for them knowing our room # upon calling .

Again, I thank all of you !!