We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hilarious bad reviews

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakland, Maryland
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Topic
hilarious bad reviews

OMG whre do I start? I am LMAO with some of these reviews I have been reading. The biggest issue is wash cloths(bring you own) and not being able to speak English.(Well this is a different country) Its no wonder the DR people are sometimes rude to the the guests at AI's. It's not US or CA or EUR. its the Dominican Republic.

If people just did a little homework on what to expect it may be a little less stressfull vacation. Do people not know how to improvise these days?

Perhaps some people want to have a slave when they go on vacation.

As from what I have seen in my travels, that is what it looks like.

Some people need to be taken down a few notches from the high and might attitude.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: hilarious bad reviews

I feel compelled to comment on the way people throw around the term "five star" in context with a resort in the Caribbean and a "5 Diamond" property in North America and Europe.

They are not the same.

A "five star" in the Caribbean is a measurement of how many "amenties" the resort offers, i.e, swimming pools, jacuzzis, restaurants, tennis courts, spas, shopping, water sport activities,kids clubs, etc. It has really nothing to do with the level of service by staff, or the quality and variety of the food choices offered, or whether there are washclothes, or whether the room is cleaned daily, etc. In fact, it's usually the tour operator or even the hotel themselves that assign the "star" rating.

This is in stark comparision to the "Diamond" rating system, whose ratings are awarded based on reports from "secret shoppers" who award points on the more intangible aspects(taste of the food, variety, cleanliness, attitude of staff and their willingness to go the extra mile to meet your needs, etc).

Toronto
Level Contributor
649 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: hilarious bad reviews

buckybruce===so in other words people are compaing apples to oranges and should really be comparing a resort to a resort in the same country

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: hilarious bad reviews

I laughed at someone rating a cuban holiday last year, they gave it a 2* instead of 4 because one of the workers did not have any deet for them!

I take a small tube of travel wash, lasts the whole 2 weeks, clothes come out fresh, and re-usable! just squirt some in the skink with hot water, then soak clothes for an hour or so, then leave on the balcony to dry!

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: hilarious bad reviews

i'll keep it simple and just describe our experience at paradisus melia, 4 star. we came thru melia vacation club(timeshare) melia cancun and added 2 extra nights before and after: don't do that - you'll have ENDLESS hassle. we anticipated the mix up: since extra nights are usually in 'hotel rooms' and vac club - is in it's own block of units. we called hotel 3 times(last time 1 day before leaving) - to assure, that we'll have no problems. we booked prior to wilma overflow, so should've been assigned a room ahead of time. we had all confirmation numbers with us, printed. the hotel was overbooked! - they asked for confirmation, we gave them the printouts: after much talking, explaining, etc in good english the manager came out holding the sheaf of our printouts, explaining that without printed confirms she can't do much - we have to go for 1 night to other hotel. since they don't assign rooms ahead of time , but as people check out???!!!

after i pointed out the confirm numbers, dates, etc on a piece of paper in english(can they read, i ask?), she appeared puzzled and went away...after about 1.5 hours of this - they put us up for 1 night in royal service.

next day we checked into our room-for-a-week, and went to lunch happy. coming back : door open, stuff guy inside, upset couple with luggage trying to check into our room. stuff guy suspicious, wont let us enter the room or speak to us. after some phone conversation, finally he left - no apologies or smile.

also during that week the door key would stop working all of a sudden - necessitating a trip on the little train to the lobby, waiting, explaining, getting back...- 1 hour of hassle.

and you tell me it's normal? if you check that hotel site - many people have the same experience.

we tried not to get upset, but in cancun melia we never had such problems with booking extra nights, wrong check-ins, long waits...etc.

this i consider to be very poor service even for a 3 star or any star hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: hilarious bad reviews

kenandpaul

you got it, pretty much.

I just stayed recently at the Sol Pelicano in Cayo Largo, Cuba, rated a 3 1/2 star by most tour operators.

Based on the facilities alone, that's accurate. But based on my assessment of the staff and service, I would give it a another star to make it a 4 1/2 star.

henderson
Level Contributor
778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: hilarious bad reviews

More than the bad reviews cracking me up...the people who write on the forum and just "rip" people to shreds w/ their crictical antics to another person's question on the Forum....

Yes, some people do write hilarious / Petty reviews but hey...I think the majority of the people NOT MATTER WHAT COUNTRY THEY ARE FROM....have learned to "read between the lines..." That's the beauty of TA. You get positives and negatives and their issues may /may not be yours...Have a great vacation all...keep posting...keep reviewing!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: hilarious bad reviews

Right on travelinjeff!!

I agree 100% I, too, can't stand when people start ripping into others on these forums ESPICALLY when they start generalizing about the country they are from.

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: hilarious bad reviews

Well said Jeff !!!! :0)

"Different strokes for different folks"

I couldn't agree more with you!!!

Plainfield, Il.
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: hilarious bad reviews

I have been on TA for a couple years now and it is really funny about how picky some people are. When I went to the DR I knew English was sparse. It was written on just about any information from Apple, so I expected that. Yea they did not have washcloths, but did that ruin my vacation? Absolutely not. The weather was warm, all the people from the DR were so nice and tried very hard. The service was unbelievable. We were there for New Year and they could not wait to celebrate with all the tourists. Our resort even included some of the holiday traditions. We loved the country- we will go back.