We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

soana island excursion

Lachine, Quebec
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
soana island excursion

Has anyone taken the Soana Island excusion?

My husband and I along with our 2 grown children (18 & 21) are leaving Jan 8th for 1 week. We would like to take at least 1 excursion but are undecided between Soana Island and the Outback Safari. Any suggestions

would be appreciated.

Kamloops BC
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: soana island excursion

We did both, our kids are 11 and 15.

Here'e our scoop.

We did Bavaro Runner, same idea as Outback.

It was a hoot. Really saw the country, Stops at a sugar cane field, cigar museum, farm, and a ranch. You see the real DR. Heres what we did that made it incredible. We took a ton of dollar toys and Chocolate, little ones like at halloween with us from home. Told our tour guide and he made stops along the way when we saw kids. Made the trip. Only ones on our tour that did it and all others kicked themselves for not. Your kids are older but the impact is amazing. Really recommend Bavaro

Full day, picked up at 8a, home by 5:00pm. Fed at the Ranch, pretty good. Horse ride on the beach little tacky but worth a laugh, boogy board in the surf. Take your camera.

As for Soana. Heres our take.

Speed boat out one way, Catameran the other. 3 hours at the island, stop on the way back(bus) in Higuey for shopping. No question very beautiful....But, Picked up at 7:00a at our hotel(Bahia), 2 hours to the boat, 2 hours back, and not a "fun" two hours, we were home at 7:30pm. not much to do when you are there but sun and swim and walk the beach. Now thats are kids. You are fed, was ok. sellers on the beach. Best parts are the boat rides. About 50% on our bus liked it, 50% did'nt. Its 80us a person.

If you are there for one week, only do one.

Enjoy, hope this helps.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: soana island excursion

Didn't have to travel from Punta Cana for the Isla Saona excursion, but I loved that day! Will be repeating it with friends in April.

I have some pictures of the highlights posted at community.webshots.com/album/489092643CrzWYX

Happy planning!

Kaki

Lachine, Quebec
Level Contributor
88 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: soana island excursion

"theloops" thanks for the info. We will certainly keep it in mind when we are there.