We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Sirenis

London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Just got back from Sirenis

thought people would appreciate the update. Hotel was fine, food great no major issues. 2 things though, both weather related. Firstly, we went to snorkel, and as the sea was so choppy we could not do this outside the hotel and all the wtersport facilities were not in operation because of the rough sea. So we tried to book excursions....

So, my second comment, LOTS of the excursions were cancelled due to the weather, we tried to book three and all three were cancelled. The weather we accepted, apparently as a result of the tsunami, but the reps were useless at informing you, we stood for over an hour one morning before I managed to get the front desk to call and confirm that our trip had ben cancelled. the reps will leave you standing there all day, once they have their commission for excursion sales they don't seem to care!

Although there was quite a bit of rain and cloudy skies we still managed to get plenty of sun and I came back with a nice tan. All in all we had a fun time, probably wouldn't go back to the same resort, definately more 4 than 5 star and being on the Atlantic side means the sea isn't very Caribbean like but weather good enough and hotel good enought o have a great time, go with no expectations and you'll be amazed!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

I am leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks at Sirenis and I am wondering if you can tell me if there is a hair dryer in room, soaps, and use of an iron if needed. I am staying in the tropical suites side. Less to pack the better :)

Marbella, Spain
Level Contributor
21 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

Hi there

I am about to book a holiday in Domincan Republic and the tour operator has given me a good price for the Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort. I thought this one was in Caribbean Sea, not Atlantic?

Please help out....

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

there was hairdryer in our room just air though , it worked ok

no iron lots of soap towels you will love it i did .angiexx

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

Quarterback:

All rooms have a hairdryer and soaps (both aren't that great though!).

Not sure about the iron situation though. I douby anyone would care if you were wearing creased clothing though!! Have a great time.

Allyandry:

The beach at Sirenis where the carribbean meets the atlantic. The majority of days we were there (in May 2004) the sea was beautiful. We did have one or two days of rain which made the sea quite choppy. We got a great deal with the tour operator when we went and could certainly recommend the Sirenis. You can always e-mail me at claire@mccann1979.freeserve.co.uk if you want any more information.

ON.Toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

Just got back Sunday from Sirenis Tropical , had an awesome time, rooms, food, bars, pools all excellent, 5 star for us.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

I too stayed at the Sirenis recently (two weeks ending Dec 23rd) and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It's great for kids. My six year old daughter once said while suntaning she thought she was dreaming. She was also a fan of the little lizards which cruise around. (as well as the turtles, the frogs, the fish and of course the flamingos.)

London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

the hotel was fine, if you are going for a lazy week (apart from the wind) you'll have a great time. We were just disappointed as we had specifically booked somewhere you could go snorkelling, and the beach, even if the sea was calm, would be quite dangerous as there are a lot of rocks just under the surface so be careful!

Apparently the weather (and therefore the sea) has been rough on and off since the hurricane, and made worse since the tsunami, this info was from one of the resort workers who arranges various trips (Manuel).

Again, we still had plenty of sun for tanning and lazing about, just disappointed we weren't sold the right holiday but thats one to take up with Airtours as we had checked numerous times before we went that it suited our snorkelling needs!

London, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

PS

Allyandry: Claire MC is right, it is on the point where the two seas meet, the east of the island in on the Atlantic and the south on the Caribbean. You'll find the further to the right of the resort you walk the better the sea gets. We did find about a half hour walk to the right of the resort there was calmer water with some coral reefs in shallow water where you could snorkel, there were some fish around, enough to keep kids and my 32 year old tropical fish obsessed boyfriend happy ;-) anyway!

Fort Drum, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back from Sirenis

Can you boogie board on the waves? Or is is choppy as in, it doesn't curl?