We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim with Dolphins

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Swim with Dolphins

We are going to Ocean Bavara and would like to know what the swim with Dolphins is like.

Is it a waste of $$ and how long does it last.

I have two kids that want to do it age 12 -- 15

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim with Dolphins

before you decide to spend your money on this organization, why don't you google

"Animal cruelty at Manati Park", you can read enough on how horribly those wonderful creatures are threated there!!

Animal activists have been trying for years to have this facility closed!! Please do not encourage this, and as much as I understand your children want to do it, it may be a very educational thing for them if you explain, why it is a really bad idea..

London, ON
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim with Dolphins

I just came back on Sunday and stayed at Riu Bambu...my fiance and I went snorkelling with the sharks and sting rays...the excursion was called Carribbean Festival...they take you on a big boat, you snorkel with fish and then they take you to another spot where you swim with sharks and sting rays...it was really cool! the sharks are nurse sharks...they don't eat meat...

i agree with the other comment the park in punta cana is not nice to animals...i have heard bad things...i think animal activists are even trying to shut it down...

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim with Dolphins

Are the ones in the Mayan Riviera area better

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim with Dolphins

There are some decent ones at the Xcaret & Xel-Ha eco-parks (both re-opening in December), as well as a couple others. They don't seem to have the bad reputation of Manati Park, but you'd still want to do some research.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swim with Dolphins

I did not witness any animal cruelty there. I don't think it's any worse than animals that are kept at a zoo or acquarium in the US. When I went with my family to Punta Cana last month, we went to Manati park and LOVED it. My brother swam with the dolphins and I regret not having done it. He had a blast. We are all animal lovers and really enjoyed the shows. It is absolutely worth the money. My favorite shows were the dolphins, Sea Lions, and tropical birds. The horse show was also nice.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swim with Dolphins

Santiago.. please tell me what do you know about Manati and how much research you did about this place.. I am amazed at your uninformed statements!!!!!

Most people do not see any abuse!!!! The workers are not that stupid!!! They are not gonna mistreat an animal in front of tourists!!

It is a different story when the people are not around though!! How can you not understand that???

The fact is a dolphin is an animal that is "engineered" by nature to swim several miles a day.. at Manati they are kept in tiny pools, where they can hardly move.. it is a torture to them.. against their instincts!!

They are starved and overworked to perform!

There are dolphins that prematurely died there with no apparent causes..

If you were na animal lover, you would do some research before recommending such a horrible facility to other people! There are other places where you can swim with the dolphins, where the owners actually invest their money in taking proper care of these gorgeous creatures!!

Please google "Animal Cruelty at Manati Park" and you will see how many hotel chains, and organizations are boycotting Manati Park!!! There is a reason for that!!!

I only wish some people have half the intelligence of a dolphin!!

Oakville, ON Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swim with Dolphins

I wish I could remember the name of the cable program that I saw two weeks before leaving for the DR (returned on the 19th). It made me decide that I wouldn't go to Manati park. It's not so much how they treat them on a daily basis but the horrific way they are captured. As a Canuck, I'm ashamed to say that the owner/wrangler is a Canadian and he is notorious for his practices. They showed the capture technique and it was horrid and so many die within a three month period but they just keep on replacing them. Environmental groups don't go after all of these kinds of attractions and the program I saw was specific to Dominican caught dolphins, unfortunately there is a lucritive trade and the stress they undergo from capture makes them ill and vulnerable.

I did go to the Dolphin swim tour in Cozumel and didn't really think about how they got there but won't be supporting this industry in future. Just looking at the pen size for such a free roaming animal is sad.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific about the programs name but it was an eye opener.

E

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Swim with Dolphins

I think you would be better off going to 'Dolphin Island'. They are in the ocean and it just appears to be humane of an experience for the dolphins. Google 'Dolphin Island, Punta Cana'

Good luck!

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Swim with Dolphins

I think you would be better off going to 'Dolphin Island'. They are in the ocean and it just appears to be humane of an experience for the dolphins. Google 'Dolphin Island, Punta Cana'

Good luck!

Nanaimo, British...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Swim with Dolphins

Good luck!