My husband and I just returned from a fabulous trip to Punta Cana. We were upgraded to a swim out, oceanview excellence suite in the 1400 building and it was incredibly beautiful. We did not pay extra to do the excellence club, and found we didn't need it. It rained 5-10 minutes the first few days, but it didn't bother us. Some tips:
1) Claim your space early in the day---people got up early and put their towels on the beach chair of their dreams before breakfast. They did run out of poolside beach chairs and floaties by 11am or so. We did not have this problem, since we had two decks with our own chairs poolside (included in the swim up rooms) but we still put towels on these chairs so they wouldn't be taken.
2) Don't miss the sunrise on the beach or a moonlit walk at night---these were high points for us.
3) Tip your favorite bar tender or waiter when you arrive and they remember you the whole trip. Our drinks were definitely strong enough.
4) Remember room service will deliver Presidente's on ice, or water any time of the day or night. The refrigerator in the room does not keep things very cold.
5) The red flag was up all week, however we swam anyway in the ocean. Just don't go out too far from shore, the current is strong.
We weren't able to do other watersports because of the strong seas and wind.
6) Some of the dinners were a disappointment in terms of food quality and service, although the buffet champagne breakfasts and lunch made up for it.
Any other questions? All in all it was a fabulous trip. Enjoy!!!