We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver BC Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

Hi

I can't take any anti-malaria pills (chloroquine) or get a Hep A shot, because I'm pregnant...should I be worried? How common is Malaria in the DR?? (Punta Cana/Bavaro area)

I went to the local Travel Medical Clinic yesterday for my 19 month old son to receive a Hep A shot, and was informed about the Malaria risk also. Doctor said it would be safe for my son to take a small dose of the anti-malaria pill....I concerned about the side effects for him? Has anyone else given this med to their young children?

I really want to just have a good relaxing time on this well needed vacation (that was going to be in Cancun before the hurricane hit), am I being overly cautious???

Thanks!

U.K
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

Please could you verify whether you have spoken to your doctor about this as there seems to be some misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

Pregnant women should not travel to malaria sites. If they must, the medical experts suggest that it is far safer to take chloroquine than to rik malaria on the expectant mother and unborn child. Please consult the following site at the U.S. Centers or Disease Control, entitled:

"Information for the Public:Preventing Malaria in the Pregnant Woman" :

www.cdc.gov/travel/mal_preg_pub.htm

There are antimalarial drugs which are not recommended during pregnancy, but chloroquine, the drug for malaria in the Dominican, is safe and recommended when travelling to risk areas during pregnancy. The Dominican, including Punta Cana is, as of today Nov. 19 2005, a risk area.

Ontario
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

I think that every one involved here needs to calm down and take a breather. A pregnant women simply asked a question and now it has turned personal. It is a personal choice if someone wants to take any kind of drug and no matter what any tells them it is ultimatly their decision. I am not taking any kind of medicine because I do not believe in over medicating I take a medication because I need not INCASE. but that is my choice and I am not asking for a response.

Vancouver BC Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

Wow! I certainly didn't mean to cause a controversy, I was simply looking for some advice from anyone with experience with this drug, either with themselves or with children.

Anyway, I have spoken with another doctor, and was told that 'Chloroquin' is in fact a safe pregnancy drug (and certainly safer than not taking it and risking Malaria while pregnant).

So, I'm no longer worried (no reason to, it doesn't do you any good anyway!), and am once again really looking forward to this vacation!! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

turquoise 95: Thanks very much for sharing this information and raising awareness.

NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

This past Tuesday we went for an ultrasound from the fertility doctor and he recommended not taking the medicine, the same thing our OBGYN said. Before any attacks me, I am not stating our doctors are right or wrong. I am posting this based on what we were told. We will not be taking antimalaria medicine.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

you might want to provide more information for other expectant mothers who will be travelling.

The term "fertility" doctor implies an out of the ordinary situation. I believe chloroquine is perscibed for routine pregnancies and only when travel to malaria areas is necessary.

Vancouver BC Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Should I be worried about Malaria or Hep A? I'm pregnant...

Wheatie:

congrats on your pregnancy! this is my second pregnancy, and so far so good, hopefully the same can be said for you. Definitely no one should attack you because it is a personnal choice, and there is no black or white answer!

For myself, I'm more worried about getting Malaria, than side effects from the pill, but that's just me!! Again, every pregnant woman has different opinions on what they feel is right for them, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

ENJOY your vacation!! Also, if this is your first pregancy, SOAK UP the well needed rest & relaxation while you can!!! :-)