We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Greetings from Ottawa - for anyone who has travelled recently to Punta Cana - do you recommend taking US funds or converting to Pesos before you leave Canada?

upstate New york
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Take a lot of US dollars with you. They prefer them and sometimes will only take US dollars. I exchanged at the hotel but you can do it at any ATM which is all you will get out of them. Once I got there I could not get ahold of any US money and we ran out of our Travelers Checks. If you go to a bank on the resort they will only use a credit card to give you cash. I thought this odd.

victoria canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Love to sun, Did you get peso's or usd dollars from the ATM?

Thanks Skipper

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Skipper,

As expected, Dominican ATMs dispense Dominican pesos.

Gregg

victoria canada
Level Contributor
581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Gregg, thanks much, Skipper

upstate New york
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

You get pesos from the ATM's and we could not get US dollars anywhere else after our Travelers Checks were gone. Hope this clarifies.

jmp
Ontario,CAN
Level Contributor
257 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

Hi, we were in Punta Cana in November, took with us US cash. We took as many $1 bills as we could get our hands on for tips and larger bills to exchange for smaller bills when we ran out. We asked one beach vendor and 2 of the resort staff what they liked better and they said tha peso's were easier for them therefore when we went to change the US cash to smaller bills we decided to get peso's. We bought some stuff from another beach vendor and asked him what he preferred, he was good with either but commented that he would give us a bit better deal if we paid with peso's. If you decide to us US cash, bring lot's of small bills because it's hard to change once you are there. I would take peso's next time. The only thing that you must have US$ is for the $20 per person departure tax. They will not accept anything else.

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

and be careful when using ATM's my son walked away and left his card in the machine ( I know very stupid ) but the money comes out first then the card much later so I guess he forgot it. Well CIBC called and said that they cancelled his card because of a fraud issue even though the hotel managment said that they had it safe at the desk.

Saskatoon Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Converting to Pesos or US$ - what do you recommend?

That's another good point. Why would you put a CIBC "VISA" card into an ATM. Sure it is a convienence and will give you cash, but why not use a DEBIT card and withdraw cash in Dominican Pesos from your own account. And no you don't have to have Dominican Pesos sitting in your Credit Union in Sudbury for this to happen.