We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need to find a decent hotel

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
1 post
Save Topic
need to find a decent hotel

hello, my friend and I are planning to go to PUNTA CANA in mid December, I have read quite a few comments about the hotels there, some are very good, some are extremely bad, that kind of scare me, need help, can anyone have any good suggestion about the hotel there ? Thanks a lot. Mona

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need to find a decent hotel

Hi

I don't know of any which are really bad - check out the personal reviews out on this site but don't hang about too long - the resorts are filling up very fast and may all be full when you decide

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need to find a decent hotel

Hi Mona,

Stick with at least a 4**** star resort and you should be fine. Boy Bavaro is right though you better book now many people that were going to Mexico now have to go some where else and alot are picking the DR. It might even be to late. We've been three times to the DR and love it there. Stayed at the Iberostar Punta Cana in 2001, Dec 2003-2004 stayed at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in LaRomana. This year Jan 15th we're booked for the new Majestic Colonial (opens in Dec). Let us know what you pick. Good Luck!

Louisville
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need to find a decent hotel

My husband and I got back from Punta Cana on Monday of this week and I can emphatically tell you DO NOT STAY AT THE OCCIDENTAL GRAND FLAMENCO. The star rating (5 stars) is misleading. Our tour guide recommended Ocean Blue and the Melia Caribe. Enjoy your trip. It really is a beautiful place!

Louisville
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need to find a decent hotel

My husband and I got back from Punta Cana on Monday of this week and I can emphatically tell you DO NOT STAY AT THE OCCIDENTAL GRAND FLAMENCO. The star rating (5 stars) is misleading. Our tour guide recommended Ocean Blue and the Melia Caribe. Enjoy your trip. It really is a beautiful place!

Louisville
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need to find a decent hotel

Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need to find a decent hotel

Hi cute! I'd highly recommend Sunscape the Beach, Ocean Blue/Ocean Sand and Gran Bahia-Principe!! All three of these resorts are fairly new and absolutely awesome!! Please check them out.

love

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: need to find a decent hotel

I am really going to have to disagree with Melani, as I stayed at Grand Flamenco in April and am also heading there this Friday (November 11-18) It is an amazing hotel. It is very large and the club is amazing. You must go there with an open mind. Remember this is a 3rd world country and it is spanish speaking so you may feel as if you are not being understood. But I believe that if you were to go there you would have an AMAZING TIME! I will post my review when I return from the hotel!

england
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need to find a decent hotel

Hi,

I've been to DR 7 times and I think Riu Bambu and Sunscape are the best.

I would not recommend Juan Dolio.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need to find a decent hotel

We just got back from Sunscape the Beach, and I do not recommend it. It is too far away from everything and there is not much to do. Apple rated it a 6, but it is not a 6 by any means - more like a 4 or 5. Last time we stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro Suites and it was much much nicer (the resort as well as the beach). There are other resorts along that stretch of beach that you can see from a walk along the beach as well. If you go, book along the Bavaro Beach instead of the Sunscape. Too bad the Riviera Maya got so much damage - it was much much nicer. I'm sure it will be back in full operation in the months ahead.