We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

What can anyone tell me about this hotel, we are going fisrt week of Jan.

Any advice at all would be great

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
645 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Hi, I was at the Ocean Bavaro for two weeks with my husband in the second half of May this year. The best advice I can give you is to be patient - ask for anything you need with a smile and above all, do not lose your patience - it will get you nowhere.

If you check out the reviews you will find lots of mixed opinions on it. We had a great time - but we went with an open mind - aware that we were in a third world country, spanish speaking, and it is not a 5 star resort.

If you speak any spanish - it will help - but so will a smile, a "per favor" and a "gracias". If you have any problems with your room - ask to be moved - but ask nicely and be patient - they will just ignore you if you are aggressive - which we saw happen to several people. We didn't like our initial room - it was damp and very dark and we asked very nicely to be be moved and eventually got upgraded to a honeymoon room - which was absolutely wonderful. If you want, you can ask to upgrade when you get there - it costs $20 per person per night to upgrade - you get a beach view (we were practically ON the beach) a jacuzzi in your room and a four poster bed. We didn't have to pay for the upgrade in the end - my husband tipped the guy on reception who assigned our room $20 - and then when I next went to reception and he was there - I went and thanked him (in rusty spanish) for moving us to such a lovely room and told him how happy we were and how kind he was etc - and he turned round and told me we were welcome and that he would not charge us for it - and he didn't!

We don't like buffet restaurants - so we ate every night at an a la carte restaurant - book then for the next day when you go for breakfast. We particularly liked the Spanish and the Italian restaurants (they do not cost any extra - only if you order a bottle of wine rather than wine by the glass).

We tipped our waiters, our room maid and barmen. We had wonderful service from everyone. The staff are almost all very helpful and polite - but only if you treat them with respect and please and thank you go a very long way here. We found the rudest people to be some of the guests (mostly europeans I am ashamed to say).

If you need anything like towels in the room or the ac breaks down - DO NOT report it to Reception - they will do nothing - they are already overworked. But if you report it to guest services (the little desk to the left of Reception as you look at it) - it will be attended to within the hour - we even had follow up calls to make sure things had been done.

The spa is great - go for a massage - wonderful - and if you take a brochure with you that has the 50% discount marked on it - it is incredibly cheap (we were given one by guest services).

The beach is fantastic - although the amount of seaweed in the water will depend on the weather.

Us only bottled water for everthing - cleaning your teeth, rinsing your toothbrush etc. Its OK to have ice cubes in your drinks at the hotel as the water is purified.

If you have any other questions - please don't hesitate to ask. You should have a wonderful time.

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Thanks for your reply, can anyone tell me what they really like for gifts down there, i think that goes along way too does it not.

Can anyone else give me their experiances to share.

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Bump it

USA
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

we were at the OB early october and we left the maid all the childrens clothes that will no longer fit and shoes. She was so happy she almost cried it really was very touching!!

Afew dollars here and there go a long way too. You will always have someone pick you out and tell you that they are going home to see there family and won't be back for 4 days, give them $5 and wish them well. They work extremely hard for it and to put it into perpective we tip our pizza guy that.

tip tip tip the resort workers here are amazing!

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Thanks, keep the input coming in people ,,,its all good....seemore$#@&

Manitoba
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Anyone else able to tell me anything about this resort? What tours are available from it? How is the snorkelling in that area?

Manitoba
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

Snorkelling at Ocean Bavaro reort?

canada
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Bavaro in Punta Cana

bump it