We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from Bahia Principe

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just got back from Bahia Principe

We just got back from the Bahia Principe on Monday and I couldn't wait to post my review...I noticed there is a sudden surge in posts for this resort...most of them are doubtful. I hope that my comments will help squash those doubts and answer any questions!

First, I have to say that my boyfriend and I were in complete bliss the entire week. We booked through Sunquest and were very impressed with the level of service. We had a Canadian Sunquest rep meet us at the airport. She worked at the resort, so there was always someone there to help us with any questions. We were brought to our villa, in the Club Hacienda section. This is in the middle of the resort. We had a private pool that was shared among the Club Hacienda guests, which had a swim-up pool. The pools and the beach were amazing...

The food was beyond my expectations. There were many choices, we never got bored. The a la carte restaurants were so good! The buffet was a little weird sometimes (fish for breakfast?) But not something that affected our vacation. The French restaurant had the best steak I ever had - better than The Keg!

Service was absolutely amazing...we expected language barriers, but most staff were easy to communicate with. As long as you know "no thank you" and other basics, you're good. Staff definitely go out of their way to make you happy. We tipped the maid $2 US a day (plus a mini chocolate bar) and she made sure our room was immaculate and gave us some extra beer in the mini bar.

Weather was excellent. We recommend going at this time of the year. Yes, people said it was rainy season, but man...every day was HOT. And when it rained, it only rained at night for 30 seconds. The other great part about going at the end of October was the amount of people there...it wasn't too packed. When we go again, we will definitely go in October.

This WAS a 5-star resort, no doubt. It's a big resort, it has variety in food and entertainment, and the staff were great. It was a perfect vacation.

Now, to address the concerns. There was a slight smell in the main buffet, but I didn't even notice it until the last couple of days and it wasn't so bad that I couldn't stay and eat. The resort is big, but that's a good thing. There is a trolly, but we never used it. We liked the little stroll (especially after the big meals) and seriously, it takes a total of 5 minutes to walk from the beach to the main lobby. We couldn't believe people were actually taking the trolly, but everyone has different opinions. As for lounge chairs, there were plenty to go around. But like I said, we were there at the end of October and the resort was not at full capacity. But there are so many chairs, I can't imagine it to be a problem.

But seriously people, if you're going to worry and complain about smells, the amount of walking, and the amount of lounge chairs, then maybe you shouldn't go to a place where the point is to RELAX. The biggest decisions we had to make was beach or pool today? This resort was fantastic. The most important things to factor into planning your vacation is staff service, quality of beach, and quality of food. Don't sweat the small stuff and you will come back home happy!!

If anyone has any questions about this resort, please feel free to e-mail me at reneefournier@rogers.com

Ontario
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

Hello Renee! Your comments are excellent! I have a question regarding the piano/karaoke bar. I've posted twice already, and got no response, so I'm hoping you can help me. I was just wondering how the karaoke was? I read a review that made it sound like it was a live guitarist and you sing along with him. Is this true?

USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

Hi Renee! Thanks for your wonderful post! My husband and I would like to go to Bahia in May of 2006. Is this when Canada gets cold? We are hoping that the Bahia won't be too packed; although this is really the only time we can go, so hopefully it won't bother us too much. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Lastly, do you have any pics of the resort, i.e. restaurants, bars, beach, etc.?

montreal
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

thanks for all the info. i'm going there in december with family and children. i didn't booked in club diamond or gold. will i be restricted in some area or restaurant? do they have cereals at the buffet for childrens and what kind of fruit they have? i understand that we have to pay 30$ for the safe, is that correct? thanks for your help.

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

I won't be much help with the karaoke question...I didn't go to the karaoke bar at all. There was a karaoke competition at the main theatre, which was really fun. It was like regular karaoke with the music and TV screen, but on a big stage.

I think May would be an excellent time to go. I find that most Canadians go south during the harshest time in winter, so December, January, February. Once Spring hits (May) then it's more off-season for the resorts. I think May will be just like October was for us. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

We were with Club Hacienda (which I think is the same as Diamond) and had access to all the a la carte restaurants for dinner (with reservations) and the Italian restaurant buffet for breakfast and lunch (only because it was the closest to our villa I think) We also had access to the main buffet and all the snack bars. I think other guests who stayed in other parts of the resort only had access to different restaurants for breakfast and lunch. For instance, the guests on the "Punta Cana" side probably had access to the Garden Grill for breakfast and lunch, where we on the "Bavaro" side went to the Italian. Really, I think it's just a way for them to control the crowd...they serve the same food everywhere for breakfast and lunch.

Toronto
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

Oh yes, and there are plenty of fruit and cereal at the buffets.

$30 US for the safe.

USA
Level Contributor
421 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

Thanks Renee!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

hi, great report thanks we are off on monday and really lookin forward to it now x

Asbury Park NJ, USA
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Just got back from Bahia Principe

How was the water? Is it as calm as it looks?

Was there a strong current? Or would you be able to easily float without being carried away?

Did you do a snorkeling at the hotel itself, like right in front?

Did you do any excursions? If so how much was it and for which ones?

Did the resort “feel” crowded?

We are leaving on 11-26 (3 weeks).

Thanks for your help.