We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

My husband and I just moved our trip plans from Lindo in Mexico due to hurricane Wilma. I guess I have been doing too much research on what to do in Punta Cana and I keep running across posts about people getting sick... Starting to doubt my decision. We are staying at Secrets - anyone had severe problems there? If so, I would like to know. I know you can get sick anywhere and a lot of people get sick due to excesses, but I am talking about the ones who are sick for months. Beginning to think I am jinxed for picking the wrong places to go. oye...

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

We stayed at Secrets and had mild stomach discomforat while there. Nothing so severe that it ruined our trip (we still had a fabulous time) and nothing that I could blame on the resort. I chalked it up to the heat, the different types of food and food prep, and the alcohol. Once home we were fine. I know some people do get sick and I shouldn't say this because I'm probably opening myself up for attacks.....but I think that some of these reports get blown out of proportion.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

I would reccommend a course of Cipro taken 1 week prior to departure as well as during your stay. Also, new malaria advisory posted on CDC site.

Take the pills, don't worry, and have a great trip!

Pittsburgh
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

I just got back from the Ocean Blue and we had no problems at all. Just don't drink the water, but we still brushed our teeth with it. Also if you are prone to getting sick take any meds with you it can be pricy there.

Ohio
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

We have been to Punta Cana twice, the last time being in April and we have never gotten sick. We did bring some pepto tablets just as a precaution, but didn't need to take them. Go, have an open mind, and have a great vacation!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

There has not been any illness reported at Secrets Excellence!!!

Do not take antibiotics unnecessarily, they are not that good for you!

Eat plenty of active yogurt before you leave, and while down there!!

I'm going to Secrets for my wedding in JAnuary, I know I will be fine!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

Hi there EMT,

Yes, you are doing too much research! I've seen many of your posts on the playa board.

People are more likely to pick up a bug from their fellow travelers on the plane than most modern resorts!

Start packing and stop worrying!

We switched to the DR Secrets also and I have decided that we are going to have a great time!

Repeat to yourself "Must stop checking TA every hour"

Have a wonderful time!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

That is so funny. My TA said the same thing - ha! She has people cancelling trips due to what they have read on Tripadvisor! I do check a couple times a day when bored at work, but was concerned about illness since I have heard so much about it, also from friends and coworkers. Thanks for the encouraging words, hope to start packing and planning soon.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro. We just arrived back home on Friday. I was worried about getting sick too and even more worried about my husband - he has a very weak stomach. We took Acidophilus everyday which is a probiotic, like what is found in yogurt that aids in digestion and promotes good bacteria in your instestines. We didn't experience any problems at all, and my husband felt great. He was the brave one and tried all different types of foods and never felt sick. Just drink plenty of bottled water - the sun and humidity will take a lot out of you. So go and have a good time and don't worry about getting sick. You'll be just fine.

Loveland
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

Hi emt! Eat plenty of yogurt!! I've never been sick in Punta Cana by just eating my yogurt!! It really works......at least for me!! Oh, and once you become addicted to TA, there's not turning back!!! LOL!!

love

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me out here, am I being overly worried?

Hey, maybe Tripadvisor is a sickness - ha! It is a fun place though to hear about everyones experiences, good or bad. Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I plan on doing all recommended tummy saving suggestions.