We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saona Island?

Quebec
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Saona Island?

My boyfriend and I were planning on going on the Catamaran excursion to Saona Island. We will be in Punta Cana the first week of January.

I would like to know if people enjoyed it or not, and why/why not? What is it like, how is the food? How is the boat ride? What did you do while you were there etc....

P.S... Please do not use this has a means of advancing your personal agenda...

Thank you.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saona Island?

I went a couple of years ago and thought it was a lovely island, with one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen. However, the trip I took was billed as a snorkeling trip, and the snorkeling wasn't that great. It wasn't awful, but I wouldn't go back for the snorkeling. Not many fish, and not that much time was devoted to snorkeling.

If you're not looking for fish, it was a great day!

Quebec
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saona Island?

Is the snorkeling more expensive?

And also, is the bus ride to the Catamaran long?! Soo many questions!!

Malaga
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saona Island?

The hotel usually takes care of everything, to me really it wasnt that nice,

its paradise of course but not to different from what you already have next

to your hotel, plus you waste a whole day. It's up to you, I'm going again

this year and I aint gonna do it again.

Quebec
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Saona Island?

Does anyone know the cost? And what kind of food they serve? What activities there are on the island?

murillo
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saona Island?

Although we enjoyed the Catamaran ride, you are at a resort lying on the beach. You catch a bus,ride a power boat or catamaran with sandwhiches and rum or beer to an island and lay on the beach? There is a meal of rice , chicken and stuff but, There is nothing there, sand and the ocean. I think we paid $85 us!

Quebec
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Saona Island?

Did anyone see any starfish while they were there?!

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saona Island?

We have been twice and saw starfish both times. I personally love the trip. Going in March and thats the first thing we're gonna do. To each there own I guess but we love it

Edited: 11:30 am, December 30, 2009
Quebec
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Saona Island?

And how long is the Catamaran ride there and back?

missouri
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saona Island?

Don't waste your time! We just got home from Punta Cana and were very disappointed in S. Island trip. It is simply a catamarn ride to a small beach area, food/drink is poor, the "natural pool" area has no starfish -- the tour operators tried to fool us with dead starfish; no snorkeling in the area - we saw no fish! Instead, go to Catalina Island for a much better experience. Whatever you do, do not book with operators on the beach --- the resorts are beautiful in Punta Cana, excursions are not "there" Hope you enjoy your trip overall

missouri
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saona Island?

Me neither! It was a total wasted day other than a pretty day for the catamaran ride. It was an entire day trip -- more time on the bus to get there--we were very disappointed in the excursion, no snorkeling, catamaran had 100 people - loud music, rude operators. I know it sounds negative, but we have traveled extensively in the Carribean area and this was the biggest rip off we ever encountered.