We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to call home from Secrets

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harleysville, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Best way to call home from Secrets

For those who have been to Secrets, any recommendations on how to call home?....do they sell phone cards?...are there phones to use in the lobby?...are calls made from the room extremely expensive? Any advice would help!

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

I don't actually know this, but just in case they do provide 1-800 number in the room through which to call, and then ask you for your credit card number.. DON'T!!

You will pay an insane amount of money.

So far I could always call directly from the room, and the charges were very reasonable. Never had a problem. Just pick up the phone and dial like you would at home.

What I would suggest you do is call from the room for a couple of minutes and a bit later go to the lobby and ask for a printout of your phone record. It will tell you exactly how much it is. After that if you are using the phone daily, take the daily printout just in case. One resort added couple of charges once, but they quickly took them off after we protested.

I always do this any resort I go, this way I know I'm protected..

Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

To add to Bella's excellent advice - the most economical way to call home is call collect - you'll probably be charged a U$2 connection fee

All the best

bb

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

$2.00 a minute,dont pay more.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

Here is another idea to add to the great advice given above by Bella and my fellow forum advisor....Boy Bavero

This is what we do every time we go down to Secrets

We did not make phone calls from down there... we felt we were getting ripped off , Make sure you open a hotmail

e-mail account before you leave...

We wrote down the hotmail account and give everyone we wanted to talk to at home a calling card for $10.00 and the

e-mail address. (internet cafe $5.for 20 minutes) (excellence club free internet access)

We checked the mail daily and if we needed to talk to someone we told them to call us in the room with their calling card at a specific time.

This worked out very well and saved us tons of money that was better put to

use on us.....(massages, spa stuff,pictures,side trips ect,ect).

Harleysville, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

Thank you everyone for your great advice!!!! I appreciate it!

Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

Do not use the room phone at Secrets!!!

we used it to make 1 call to the 1-800 # to verify our return trip. They wanted to charge us $7.00!!!

Use your cell or one of the other suggestions above. Do not make any calls from the room, except to the front desk, spa, room service etc....

Shelby Twp, Michigan
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

I am also going to Secrets next week actually. I always rent cell phones when I travel. It's MUCH cheaper. I use Travelcell there phone# is 877-CELL-PHONE or online at travelcell.com I am paying 29.99 for a weekly rental and $5.00 extra for a 800# (this means when someone calls you they just call an 800# and they pay nothing)you pay an additional .50 a min which means with the 800# you pay 99 cents a min instead of 49 cents and it is 1.49 for outgoing. Hope this helps.

Lima, Oh
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

My Verizon phone cost me $.95/min roaming and local connection fees included. Since there is Verizon in PC I also had a good signal. Don't forget to have international calling added to your phone. There is no cost for this.

USA
Level Contributor
322 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to call home from Secrets

I called Sprint PCS, and for 4.00 fee, the rate is .24/minute...I guess, if I get service...otherwise...I'll email everyone...