We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling back to the United States

Cherry Hill, Nj
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Calling back to the United States

We are leaving for the Bavarro Princess on Jan. 8. I have been unable to locate a calling card in the US that can be used from Punta Cana to the US. I've never been there before and am looking forward to the trip. Are calling cards available there or does anyone know which ones work that I can buy before we leave. Also, does anyone know the exchange rate for the peso? Is that the currency we will need to use or does the US dollar work? Any tips on Bavarro Princess would also be helpful.

Holland PA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling back to the United States

Go to www.xe.com for currency conversion. As of tonight, $1USD equals 29.4950 DOP according to that website.

If you use Verizon Wireless, you can arrange for your cell phone to make & receive international calls. They told me that under my plan it is $.65 per minute roaming charge & another $.68 per minute long distance charges for a total of $1.33 per minute plus tax.

Are you flying out of Philadelphia on 1/8?? We're using USA 3000 with Apple Vacations on that date.

Cherry Hill, Nj
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling back to the United States

We are going with Apple Vacations also. If you're leaving at the wonderful hour of 6 A.M. we'll be on the same plane. Look forward to meeting you.

PhilaPA
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling back to the United States

Hola! We're leaving out of Philly USA3000 Monday morning at 6am - what an hour to leave! My husband is bringing his Verizon as well. Sam's Club, Target and WalMart sell AT&T phone cards - any one works fine - it won't differentiate "international" on the card. They work in DR says customer service. You use the house phones in the lobby of your hotel for the phone cards I read. We're bringing a card just in case the phone doesn't work. US dollars are accepted there, too. Deb's DR travel forum shows $1US = 29 pesos. Adios!

kenmore,NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling back to the United States

we called home from the house phones in punta cana

collect to usa a 6 minute call and it cost 59.00 dollars.

Holland PA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling back to the United States

Waytogo,

We're on USA 3000 @ 6AM out of Philadelphia (Apple Vacations charter flight). Heading for Catalonia Bavaro -- not our original choice but it's a long story.

I'll be traveling with my 18 year old son.

Hope to meet you.

upstate New york
Level Contributor
191 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling back to the United States

I also had an international plan, no service. Couldn't use my cellphone. I just emailed everyone from the computer place.

TN
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling back to the United States

There apears to be some type of block on calls out AND in to Barcelo resorts, possibly others as well. You can not use ANY calling cards to make calls to or from the Bavaro resorts.

Even the "payphones" located here and there are under the control of a communications mofia called "International Satelite Comm". They have a little card in your room that tells you to "have your friends call you at this number" When your friends do that, even from their home phone they somehow comandeer private phones and charge these horendous rates to your friends. Most people might not catch this because they do not normally call the DR and so just calk up these rates as normal. But as I have clients in the DR, I know exactly what our home phone is saposed to cost to the DR - 35 cents a min. Imagine my surprize to find a wack of charges that were more like $5.00/min for when my wife called me in my hotel room from home.

I have checked with my state's regulatory commision and they call this illegal practice "cramming", where a third party company "crams" into a home phone system and charges huge fees without authorization.

Bottom line is use the internet to send messages or only use the pay phones outside the compound. (Beware of the pay phones at the airport. Use the Communications center instead.)

Verzon Cell phones work in the Punta Cana area, but with a 69 cents/min roaming charge.

Hope that helps.