We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

Hi there-

I am booked right now at Secrets in PDC, and thinking I'll probably have to rebook. I'm trying to decide between Secrets in PC or Couples Negril in Jamaica. Has anyone been to both? We are in our mid-30s, don't need a lot of nightlife, we're just looking for a place to completely relax. I'd say we are a little more "beach" people than "pool" people. Any opinions? I have been to DR before, we stayed in La Romana. How do the beaches in PC compare?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

Hope you get some answers, we are looking also at Secrets, currently booked at the Lindo. When are you going, would be nice to meet up with another cheesehead - ha!

Ky.
Level Contributor
346 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

I am also booked for SERC in Nov. My TA called today and she is trying to work up something else. She rec Punta Cana. I'm am hesitant but it is our 25th anniversary and I really want to go where it's warm. She is also looking at Sandals in Jamaica. I wonder about the weather. Someone had posted the Punta Cana was rain and wind prone. ???? I am open to suggestions.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

The more I read, the more confused I get!!!! I hear Jamaica resorts don't have much air conditioning (at least want to be able to retreat to one restaurant with AC if necessary). I am hearing both Punta Cana and Jamaica don't have a lot to offer other than the resorts, i.e., no good excursions or shopping areas, I am getting frustrated. Sounds like there are a lot of folks here who know alot about the area, hope they can help us!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

Emtlady-

We're supposed to be going 11/13-11/20. I am getting confused too! I was so excited to go to Mexico, and I had done so much research, now I just feel completely lost.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

me too... :-( I think I have a plan in mind anyways. I am going to try to book Secrets, leave Milwaukee possibly a couple of days early, flight down to Punta Cana on the airline that has my tickets now takes almost 8 hours with layover! Going to see if we can fly out on Thanksgiving day and return Dec. 3. I am getting to the point now, I just want to have something for sure before everything gets filled up with everyone changing reservations. Good luck on your search also!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

I'm in the same situation. We were supposed to go to the Marriott Casa Magna in Cancun, Mexico Nov 13th for four days, but because of Wilma had to change. We are now booked at Secrets in Punta Cana starting Nov 14 thru the 18th. We've never been to Punta Cana and hope it's gonna be a really great experience.

DC
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

We were supposed to be in Cancun 10/31 - have rebooked to SEPC, our 1st time. We are looking forward to it...I read one review that said don't even bother looking at the weather channel - it will be what it will be. We thought about Jamaica, but since they had some deaths there due to Wilma, we were thinking they might not be in the best shape either.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

We have went to Couples Negril (CN) for the past two January's. We absolutly loved it. The beach is beautiful, the food is really good and the staff makes you feel like you are at home. The rooms are nice and everything is very clean. One big pool. If you love the ocean, you will love CN. A person can walk out almost chest deep and still see your feet. No seaweed and no fish. It was awesome. It sits on Bloody Bay so there is not many waves, just calm ocean. The beach chair floats are used in the pool and ocean. Nice to float in the ocean. Also has a Nude section on the beach with its own jacuzzi and bar. The jacuzzi is new this year. That shouldn't stop a person who doesn't do the nudie thing. It is private enough. We were going to go back again this year but my husband wants to try another place. Smart I guess but I still get on the couples message board almost every day. This year we are going to Secrets Excellence. I will be a better judge about Secrets after January but for now, I do LOVE Couples.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

Negril has an incredible beach, absolutely loved it. Also you can go to places outside of the resort.. I mean really good dining for pretty cheap..

Kuyaba on the Beach has awesome food.. very close to Couples and you can also check out the cliffs for an incredible experience! Go in the afternoon, jump of the cliffs and swimm in the incredible crystal clear waters and then stay for dinner and watch a stunning sunset..

btw, the restaurants usually provide free transportation!! Hotels don't really want to tell you, they like calling the cabs!

Great place for a Honeymoon!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Excellence or Couples Negril?

Just a few can be answered. Have been to Secrets Punta Cana (SEPC) 4 times and scheduled to be there a 5th time this Christmas.

Secrets has waves. Clear water down to about 45 to 60 feet. Plenty of huts and shade and chairs. Never have I seen seaweed.

100 feet to the south of the resort is a reef. NO WAVES!

Secrets is remote. It is better for romantic getaways. They will pamper you.

Can't remember other questions so remind here or by email. Several pictures posted at: www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html…

Kevin

kackley@neo.rr.com