We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New CDC Malaria Drug Recommendations Dominican Republic

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vermont
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New CDC Malaria Drug Recommendations Dominican Republic

Just got this heads up from my travel agent. We're headed to Punta Cana in a few weeks.

cdc.gov/travel/other/malaria_recs_dominican_…

Has anyone taken these antimalaria drugs, is it Necessary?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New CDC Malaria Drug Recommendations Dominican Republic

I quess that would depend on where you are going. Will you be in that Province? Not that I know where it is. (sorry)

Two cases in a year sounds pretty infitesimal to me, the CDC always errs way on the side of caution and from what I've read some of those drugs have some pretty nasty side effects.

Most resort reviews I've read don't really seem to talk a lot about bugs that bite.

Vermont
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New CDC Malaria Drug Recommendations Dominican Republic

This includes Punta Cana...

"Because of the occurrence of new cases of malaria among travelers to the Punta Cana resort area, the Centers for Disease Control has reinstituted its recommendation that all travelers to La Altagracia Province, which includes Punta Cana, should take malaria drugs."

I was thinking it was a bit excessive, but I don't know.

uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New CDC Malaria Drug Recommendations Dominican Republic

I took the malaria drugs, it is worth it, you would regret not taking the tabs if you got bitten and got malaria.

I took Avlocor (another name of the same drug is chloroquine) these are the recommended drugs for punta cana.. I have read about the side effects but I never had any of these and it really is no hassle taking the tabs.