We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport a necessity?

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Passport a necessity?

We are currently trying to rebook our Cancun trip to somewhere in the DR. 2 people in our group do not have passports, only birth certificates. Is this ok, or is a passport required?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport a necessity?

I've been told that a passport is not necessary in the Caribbean until January 1, 2006. If you are going before then, you should be ok with birth certificates.

chicago
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport a necessity?

You do not need a passport until after the first of the year. People in our group were fine.

Centreville, Va.
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport a necessity?

If you go to the State Department site, they do not recommend you leave the US with any legal documents like your birth Certificate. Hotel staff can steal it and you would have a heck of time proving who you are, we had our Passports 2 way expressed and expedited..got them back in 2 weeks. Granted we paid more but I would not risk taking legal documents out with you.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport a necessity?

We applied for our passports and we received them in 2 weeks. We didn't even ask for the quick turnaround, they just came that fast.

Olmsted Falls, OH
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport a necessity?

if you go to state dept website, the new roll out plan for passports is under there, they have recinded the 2006 Need for Us citizens to have passports to Caribbean, but I would get one anyhow, within 2 years they will make it mandatory, so I'm sure the price will hike up again like it did this year, plus they are good for 10 years and so much less of a hassle than the paper trail of Birth Certificate (making sure it's the right one), marriage license, driver's license,etc. But if you are going next year and do not want to invest the money do not worry it is no longer necessary for 2006 as of right now.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport a necessity?

Just got back last week... did not need a passport and did not get hassled at all.. I just used my birthcertificate and it was fine (it even got stamped : ) )

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport a necessity?

I posted the following in a similar thread that ran in August:

I had planned to travel to the DR on my regular ID in January 2004 but was put in a bad position when the world was thrown into an orange terror alert. Had it advanced to "red", international travel would not have been possible without a passport. I had to get my passport with 10 days to go to departure, paying extra for the rush service since I was NOT going to be made to stay home from my vacation for a reason like that.

I'm glad for the peace of mind (and the souvenir stamps I get it in it every time I travel!).

It's not common that you hear people talk about the terror threat aspect, yet it's very real. I truly wouldn't want a terror alert to keep me from the beach in the winter.

Just a thought!

Kaki

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
806 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport a necessity?

Good point!