We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

We're both late 40's and looking for a deluxe to luxury resort. We just want to just relax and lay on a beautiful beach. Quality of the food and great service would be important to us. Can anyone tell me which hotel would be the best one for us? Or maybe suggest another hotel.. All help appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Bahia Principe is an excellent resort - we are heading there for our second time this year in a few days. Five star all the way and a beautiful resort. The Bavaro is one side of the resort and the Bahia Principe Punta Cana is the other side. The PC side rooms are slightly better locations, other than that everything is the same. Very large resort - but excellent.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Danny, I highly recommend the RIU Palace in Playa Mexico. The place is awsome, the people are fantastic, food, drinks is all good. There are shops in walking distance and you can wonder between resorts all day and night to the bars. The beach is really clean also.

Downtown Playa is a 5 minute cab ride to go party or shop. You can also leave Playa for Cosumel on a 15 minute or so boat ride.

We went 4 times and never had a complaint about anything there. It's laid back, not a big party but you can go into town or hit the disco across the street. Highly recomment the swim with the Dolphins tour and the ATV ride (awsome)

riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGES/…fast_menu.htm

Stoney Creek Ontario
Level Contributor
649 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Stayed at the Riu Palace Macao in 2002 and the Bahia Principe Punta Cana this past July,both stays were for two weeks. Both are excellent choices with the quality of food similar. The Macao puts more effort into the buffet, loved the breakfasts there. The Bahia has more ala cartes, all air conditioned with excellent to good food but the buffet isn't as good IMHO. The service was better at the Macao,more personal. You had one waiter who you got to know quite well as there are two seatings for dinner at the buffet. The Bahia had no seating times, just go when you want, but you would end up with different waiters bringing water,clearing your table etc so you never got to know them as well as you would have liked to. We liked the two different times for dinner but some don't. Being in your late fourties you will find there is an older crowd at the Macao with more families, young couples and older crowd at the Bahia. Both are great choices,the points I mentioned are really not that big a deal.The bottom line is if the price was the same or within $100 I'd chose the Macao, if the Bahia is much lower I'd take that one.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

I'm sorry Elsiemon, which resort had an older crowd?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Can anyone on here tell me? Any help would be appreciated.

Stoney Creek Ontario
Level Contributor
649 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Hi Danny N NC,

The Riu Palace Macao has an older crowd. Found it less "busy" than the Bahia Principe. The Bahia is a huge resort.Went to the Macao for our 25th anniversary, loved it. The Bahia has more last minute deals because of it's size so this might be a factor. Hope this helps.

Celina, OH
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

We stayed at the Palace last year and at the Bahia this year (we are in our early 50's)...if the prices were similar we would also recommend the Palace. These two resorts are almost next door to each other, so the beaches are identical. Both hotels have beautiful rooms and facilities. We found the food to be considerably better at the Palace, as well as the service. We just returned from the Bahia, where the guests were predominantly 20 - 30-year-olds, and mostly European. More of a language barrier at the Bahia if your Spanish isn't too good ;-)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Thanks for all the advise everyone, but when my girlfriend saw the Secrets Excellence Resort, it was all over. That's where she said would be her dream resort, so we decided to book it instead. We're really looking forward to a wonderful vacation..

Olmsted Falls, OH
Level Contributor
179 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Palace Macao Vs. Bahia Pincipe Bavaro

Can't go wrong with Secrets Excellence,if price is not an issue, one of best adult all inclusives around, a bit more pricey than the Riu Palace, but they do cater to couples there. Also if you are looking for another less pricier alternative, Bahia Principe Premiere has exclusive adult only pool area, restaurant,etc. while still having exchange w/ Bahia Principe Puna Cana. I think the beach is a bit nicer in the Bahia/ Riu Palace area. Riu Palace exudes a more classier upscale feel throughout and has been having some great prices too!!