We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hoboken, NJ
6 posts
Save Topic
SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

We are arriving this Friday into Santa Domingo airport. Anyone have an idea the best way to get to Punta Cana? I hear it is at least an hour and a half drive.

Any info on the cost and the best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Then the roads must be better. It used to be 3 hours.

You probably should have flown into Punta Cana Airport. I think a taxi will be very expensive. Maybe as much as $100 (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Hey Natty!

You can contact the very user-friendly group at http://www.dominicantaxi.com/ about a transfer. You will see there that you can take them up on an offer of 5% off their usual posted rates. You can contact them for a quote and they can let you know the arrangement.

Their cars are new, air conditioned, insured and with a DVD player! If you sit back and enjoy the drive there and back, you are gaining the benefit of driving through a part of that world capital and experiencing a bit of the scenic south coast route that some pay for when staying in Punta Cana.

Good luck!

Kaki

Hoboken, NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Thank you for the advice.

I just decided to rent a car. It is $162 for a week rental through Alamo for the cheapy economy.

Not only is it cheap it will also be exciting. I'm sure their will be many beaches along the way worth a stop.

Just hope their is parking. I have an email out to the bahia principe as we speak.

I'm sure the country is safe enough for us tourists to make our way through :)

Can you tell me the name of that South road you speak of.

Thanks,

Nattyboh

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

More power to you natty in renting a car. If you feel comfortable with that, good luck!

It is generally not recommended that tourists drive themselves or rent cars in the DR. It is a cost effective option for you tho.

I hope it goes well!

Kaki

Ern
Greensboro, NC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

I haven't been there but I'm planning on doing the same thing. Here is some info I found:

Optional Round Trip Transfers From Santo Domingo Airport To The Hotel In Punta Cana. Provided By Prieto Tour Transfer Company. While In The Dominican Republic You Can Call Prieto Tours At 809-685-0102. Valid From SDQ Airport Only.

Hoboken, NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Why is it not recomended? What happens?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

nattyboh,

You've never driven in the DR - have you? Buy all the insurance possible and ask for more.

Gregg

Hoboken, NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

I take it the roads are bad and not the drivers?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Here are a couple of threads on the topic of driving in the DR. Some of the comments are not for the area you intend to cover, but the points remain the same.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k23602…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147290-i64-k66109…

Consider yourself warned!

Kaki

So Cal
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SDQ airport-Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Natty, the drivers are way worse than the roads...