We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

This will be my 1st time in the DR. I would like to buy some good Dominican cigars while Im there. I understand there is some shopping across from the Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana, is there a legitimate cigar shop among them? If not, what would be my best option for some stoogies to enjoy during the trip?

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
romeo michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

We stayed at Iberostar Bavaro and bought 3 boxes-Cohiba,Davidoff and Montecristo from vendors that were selling by the hotel...biiiig mistake.They look like Juan Valdez rolled them by the side of the road for a nickel a piece.All softer than a stale cucumber,ends were empty and all of the same ordinary cigarette tobacco.The boxes looked original. Terrible,can't smoke them at all.Buy cigars from the bar or at the hotel store.The bar was selling Cohibas for $3 a piece.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
10,299 Reviews
Dominican Republic
St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

michiganders-

Thanks for your response.

I'm fortunate enough to have a humidor full of Cubans at home. I'm actually looking for Dominican cigars (Uppmanns, Cohibas, Monte Cristos, etc.) while I'm in the Dominican Republic. Do I need to be aware of counterfeit Dominicans also?

I've always felt that a Te Amo is far superior in Mexico. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I was figuring the same would apply for Dominican cigars in the DR.

Mentioned in this post
romeo michigan
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

Cigar factories in DR are considered in a tax free zone,so what is available on US market is not available on DR market.It is safe to buy from hotel stores,or like I said at the bar for $3 ea.I took 5 cigars from home for just in case,or untill I would find a store.I heard you can arange for factory tours,ask at the hotel.I planed to take one while there but....did not.

Sault Ste Marie, ON
Level Contributor
502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

OK- check out Domenico cigars...email them and Karl will reply. He & wife own small cigar factory. They will pick you up at BP and take you on a tour, which includes 1 test cigar. Awesome product. My husband is a picky cigar smoker, bought a "mixed" box. Their maduros are fabulous, lighter than Cuban (ie Romeo Juliet # 2 maduros). The Factory is very small, prices were reasonable (are posted on web site), and terrific product. His wife was soooo nice too. They will also deliver to BP on your last day, incase you bought non-boxed and don't have a humidor. We bought a couple at BP...a little dry, and there is a shop either "Cigar Bavaro" or other way around, in shops to left of resort (5 min walk, max, on right hand side...sign says "thank you for smoking" The man in there knew his stuff, right away directed us away from "mainstream cigars as he said we could get them cheaper at home (he is right, because many cigar factories like davidoff manufacture for export only, so you are buying cigars bought in US. We liked the selections he recommended as well. Have fun!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

I would take a short ride out to Don Lucas Cigars - they are authentic and carry Dominican & Cuban brands - I don't have the telephone number with me just now but the hotel can conncet you with him (Sr. Lucas)once you're at the hotel and he can arrange to transport you there - he has a very interesting cigar lounge and of course, is an aficionado like yourself.

bb

Mentioned in this post
Don Lucas Cigars
Don Lucas Cigars
476 Reviews
Dominican Republic
St. Louis
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

Gracias!

I'll definitely do one if not both of the recommended tours.

Sault Ste Marie, ON
Level Contributor
502 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: want to buy DR cigars, staying at Bavaro Princess

Don Lucos is on the way to Domenico, not tooo far from BP. Taxi costs are regulated I believe (Boy Bavaro..that's right?) so it shouldn't be too much if you want to go by cab. The smaller cigar producers will give you more bang for your buck, so to speak. AND can have a great product. If you are not used to different cigars, try some at home first & know what you like. I like maduros, corona size, and usually not much else. Others like cigarellos (made from scraps...hmmm) or a larger ring. So a "good" cigar is like a good wine, what YOU like. I really like checking out different types of cigars, sometimes you find a hidden gem.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic