We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
OH
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

Hey Everyone,

I just returned from Punta Cana, DR and I must say, it was the most AMAZING vacation ever! The weather was beautiful, the people were generally very sweet and helpful, the food was great, and my room was overall extremely comfortable. I wouldn't say I am an overly optimistic person, and I did have a lot of doubts going into this.

For those of you still worried about the malaria outbreak- dont. I only saw one mosquito the whole time in the DR. One! As a precaution I did take chloroquine and I'm feeling great nonetheless. I stayed at Sunscape the Beach and maybe I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have room problems initially. My parents however switched rooms twice, but in the end they were very pleased with the suite they ended up in. In the beginning the AC in my room was not working properly, but I called the desk and they immediately came and fixed it. Halfway into the week my water was shut off, but once again they were extremely helpful in fixing it. Other than that I would say that my room was perfect. All of the restaurants are up and running and to be completely honest the only construction I ever saw were some gardeners fixing up the lawns. The drinks were great, the food was awesome and everything seemed to go so smoothly the whole week. I will highly recommend the Asian and Mexican restaurants- that food was superb. I am sooooo sad to be home!

I went on one day trip to Santo Domingo which was very educating and neat. However, it is a 3 hour bus ride both ways and the first hour is excrutiatingly bumpy, so if you have problems with car sickness I would not suggest it! But I survived as you can see.

I was in the DR from 12/27 till 1/3. Although things seemed to be a little bumpy in terms of the service for maybe the first 2 days, by the end of my stay it was running as smooth as silk. As I said, I am not the most laid back person, but people must realize that there was a huge hurricane that wiped out a lot of that island a few months back and that's why construction was so delayed and not completely finished. But from what I saw, everything was complete and absolutely awesome. I will say again though that I am NOT one of those Americans who expects these people to enslave themselves for you (I am a Democrat and proud of it!), but if you treat them with respect, they will certainly do the same for you.

I hope this helps any of you planning on going to Sunscape the Beach and I hope you have a great and memorable time in the DR. I know I did!

Toronto, On
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

hey beachbabe i'm going there on sunday, and I'm in contact with a manager, I was wondering if there are any specific room numbers/buildings you would recommend.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

I had two excellent weeks there from december 6th to 20th. I can recommend building #3, it is halfway between the lobby and the beach. We stayed in room #3308 which is on the 2nd floor with a nice view of the pool. I have posted photos on my blog http://ohotos.blogspot.com

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

Hi Beachbabe! I cannot tell you how much your post calmed me down. We are going in March and I'm reading through the horrible stories and I am a nervous wreck. My fiance even said to cancel and go to Mexico again (I didn't want too). Thanks soooo much!!!!!

OH
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

Ohotos- I actually stayed in building #4 in room 4128 which was a great location, but if you are looking for a nice view of the beach and/or pool I did not have one...I was on the left side of the building. Nonetheless it was a beautiful room and I really enjoyed it. I guess I was too busy going places to really take advantage of a nice view anyway. My parents however stayed in building #7 and they had a suite that had a gorgeous view. The two buildings were right across from eachother fairly equidistance between the beach and lobby.

Paminpa- You shouldn't stress at all about this trip! By the time you go to Sunscape it should be absolutely perfect! I went to Cancun last winter the same time and it was not half as nice as the DR. Punta Cana is so much more exclusive and refined. You will have an awesome time!! (I accidentally posted this twice and that's why you were confused! :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

BeachBabe - Have a drink for me !!! I pity everyone that had a bad experience and do wish they would get they're money back IF the resort was at fault (like long lines to check in taking 2 hours and the rooms A/C not working, etc) that isn't right. But I'm hoping that from this point foward Sunscape realizes how bad things are/were and corrects them for the future.

Toronto
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

Thanks for the positive review. Good the hear. We are going on Jan 22nd and as long as our room and food are decent and the beach and pool are nice, we should be happy.

I was wondering if one of you could tell me which buildings are closest to the beach, I understand #1 is, so would #10 also be close to the beach, or would it be #6? We would to be as close as possible and would rather not have to try to change after we get there.

Also, does anyone have a map of the resort or know where to get one online? Just curious.

Thanks!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

I stayed in room 1111 (Dec 24 - Dec 31). No problems whatsoever. The patio has a beach view. Have fun!

Illinois
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

Just have a few questions since it is 10 days until. *s*

What SPF factor is the sunscreen they offer as an ammentity?

Also what did most women and men wear in the restaurants?

thank you .

Cleveland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

I stayed in 1307. It has a view of both the beach and the mountains. Try to get it if you can...two balconies...one with a private hot tub.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Returned from Sunscape the Beach and Cant WAIT to go...

People wear everything. They expect men to wear long pants in the evening in the a la carte restaurants. Shirts for men and shoes for everyone is expected during the day in all the restaurants.