We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions about Secerets

Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Few questions about Secerets

Do they have DVD or CD players in the room? We are going to be staying in a Junior Garden Suite. Are these rooms really nice? Should we upgrade? Which buildings are the best to stay in? Do they do anything special for anniversaries? So many questions, so little time! : )

Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions about Secerets

1. Our room in the 7 building, double balcony, overlooking the large pool, had no CD player. It did have a DVD player.

2. I know some people who love the garden suites -- they said they are only in their room for two things ;) My husband and I were on our honeymoon and wanted a truly romantic, beautiful room with unbelievable views, so we opted for oceanfront double balcony excellence club. We had the most wonderful room!

3. All of the rooms are very nice.

4. Upgrade if you want an oceanview. Otherwise, the gardens are very beautiful.

5. Yes, they do special things for honeymooners and couples on their anniversary. You get champagne in your room and a romantic dinner. You need to tell them before you get there. It is free if you arrange it with them. I think you get a horseback ride for two for free, as well, but I'm not sure. We had the honeymoon package and it included that.

5. The buildings I would AVOID due to construction are the higher numbered buildings -- 14, 13, 12. They are building new rooms between the last two builds -- 14 and 13 I believe. It would be a lot of noise. I would RECOMMEND building 14 if you go several months or more from now when they're done. It's definitely more quiet because it's the last building. It's very close to the beach & water (some of the buildings are a little bit of a walk to the beach).

6. Depending on what you plan on doing on your vacation is where you should get your room --

Do you want to be in the middle of all of the action? Get a room near the pools.

Do you want something quiet? Get one of the lower numbered buildings 1, 2, gardenview.

Do you want oceanview? You'll have to get the buildings that have those.

Do you want to include excellence club? Then you'll have to be in buildings around the excellence club -- 7-14 ((I think, don't quote me)).

Decide what you want to do. Here is a link to an actual map of the resort. If it doesn't work, email me and I'll send you the link. It's very accurate, so you can base your room selection on where you want to be.

MAP OF SECRETS EXCELLENCE PUNTA CANA

…webshots.com/photo/35960617/79588194ikQqGR

Seriously, tho, you can't go wrong at this resort. It's beautiful, romantic, and we loved our room and all of the other rooms we saw. If you could upgrade to a double balcony, you'd love it too! We ate our breakfasts on the balcony opposite the sunrise, watching the waves crash on the beach. In the evening, we'd switch to the other balcony to avoid the heat of the sun and watch the same thing. It was truly beautiful.

email me with questions: cpeugh@houston.rr.com

Mentioned in this post
Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana
14,135 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions about Secerets

Thanks so much for the information. I'm wondering if there is a DVD player, won't it play CD's also? I'll have to ask my hubby what kind of area he wants to be for our room. I go back and forth on it. I will contact the resort and let them know that it's our 10 year anniversary and see what extras they can do for us.

Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions about Secerets

Good point about the DVD player. Being an absolutely non-techno person, I'm not sure. You're probably right. I do know if you are in the Excellence Club block you can get DVD's and a DVD player for free so you can watch movies in your room. We were always busy doing other things -- we were honeymooners ;)

Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions about Secerets

Good thing you were to busy to watch movies! LOL! We best not be watchin any movies either. : ) In paradise with no kids!!! Oh my, I think we can find better things to do. : )

Anyway, I only know about the DVD player playing CD's because my husband told me that. I'm not to high tech either.

Okay, for another silly question. My husband drinks Segram Seven and is concerened that they don't carry that at Secret's. Would anyone happen to know if they have it or not.

I'm sure I'll have more quetions for you later. Thanks!

Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions about Secerets

We are thinking of going to Secrets in about 2 weeks..

How is the food? Beach?Fitness Center???

Anything should know in advance..

Thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions about Secerets

sundae7 - When exactly were you thinking of going there? We will be there Oct. 17 - 24. I've heard so many great things about this place. Of course you have people with some complaints, but few and far between.

Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions about Secerets

To me, the food was great. Granted, we are not 5 star diners by nature. We like good food, but aren't the type to order wine with their dinners. We are more the fajitas & margaritas type crowd. We really loved the food -- especially the steaks at the Seafood Grille (the restaurant you will float by in the pool). We also loved the Bourdeaux (sp?). The food was great and the service was unbelievable. My husband loved the Mexican restaurant because they had spicy food like jalapeno bread (we're from Texas and like spicy food). I didn't like it because we dressed up and then sweated in no A/C for 2 hours.

The beach was beautiful. We never had problems with bugs. The surf is very rough. We actually went about 2 minutes down the beach and swam there and snorkled there. It is protected by a reef there so there were virtually no waves. There is no seagrass (problems at Secrets Cancun), and it is very clear and blue/green.

I really loved everything about the place. My only complaint on the beach was we had zero service the entire time we were out there. We never saw one person to take a drink order or anything. I thought there was supposed to be service on the beach, but maybe I'm wrong. We ended up going back & forth to a bar near the beach and filling up the insulated mugs we brought with us.

My suggestion -- take the horseback ride as soon as you get there. Then you can see the beach yourself, see where the waves are, where it's calm, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few questions about Secerets

Sorry, missed your question about the fitness center. It was very nice. We were in the Excellence block (other end of the resort). It was a rather long expedition to get to the fitness center, but isn't that the point of a fitness center? To get fit? Other than that, they had a lot of very nice equipment in very good shape. I think I saw 2-3 people the entire week we were there. You can even change in the locker room & get a towel and shower. I really like that. Much nicer than any health clubs near my home in Houston. They had treadmills, stairstepper, free weights, those kinds of things. I don't think they anything like a circuit at a health club, but they did have equipment you could move around and convert for chest presses, leg lifts, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few questions about Secerets

For the question about Seagram's--send out an all points bulletin to "Secretsbride." She's one of the tripadvisors experts. She can rattle off name brands I don't even know. I do know we were in the Excellence Club and they literally had bottles and bottles of name brand alcohol. I would THINK they had it, but I don't want to tell you they do when they don't. Or you can always email them. Go to their website -- secretsresorts.com and look for the email. It may be a little bit before they get back to you, but they will. If you want pictures, email me and I'll send you a link to all of our pictures. You can see the beach, the fitness center, the room, the resort, etc. cpeugh@houston.rr.com

St. Charles, IL
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Few questions about Secerets

Hi Mellyh - Happy anniversary! We will be at Secrets from Oct. 16 - 23. We are are going for our 15 year anniversary. We can't wait!