We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

Just returned from a week at Sunscape The Beach. This was our first Apple Vacation and we're sure it will be our last one. Here is the truth:

The Good:

1) The weather was generally good although this resort is really the Atlantic facing - windier with less blue water than typical Carribean resorts.

2) The beach is delighful.

3) The pool is the biggest on the island and very nicely designed.

4) We really liked the pool restaurants and bar, no waits, service OK.

The Bad:

1) Service was generally very poor. Long check in waits, room confusion, people being put in wrong rooms,

2) Staff generally poorly trained. They were nice people but training did not show at all.

3) Food was marginal execpt for Oceans and the Japanese restaurants where tyically there were long waits. Waits at the buffet restaurants was OK.

4) When we arrived, just finding a bottle of water was a challenge. This got better through the week.

5) Construction was a disaster. Great design but our room fell apart in front of us. Plumbing and AC were constant problems. Mold grew on the walls. The tile and marble flooring is very dangerous in rain. If it rains, just don't go anywhere.

There are lots of nice places in the DR. Don't waste your time or money here for at least the next 6 months until these people figure out how to build and run a resort. If you go, your gambling your time and your money.

The Apple people on site were totally useless. Very disappointing.

CincyTraveler

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

I am at the airport and said I am signing off, BUT!!

This guy works for the shell company's Apple/AM in PA, I am sure.

He should have his head exam. for that statement.

On the shell subject, Apple and Sunscape were talking about each other regarding guest services, this does not jive now that we know after the fact that they are one big happy family.

No,

we are not Mad we are just people that know what is right and wrong. Not people that are deaf and blind and only stay at hotels worldwide at a -1 star ratting including Motel Six where they leave the light on for you, because it does not turn off.

Next time you travel govern yourself not only in having a good time, but values to yourself and family. This did not happen at Sunscape. I guess for some the more Booz you had the better Sunscape became. That is why maybe they were serving booz to minors, or maybe the staff were never trainned not too.

Cincy,

Don't back down for what you beleive is right for you and your family, these people just do not know better or ever had better.

Chow,

Zman

Cleveland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

I had a good time at Sunscape Beach! Ten of us were there from the 25th thru the 1st. We loved it. Only complaint is slightly slow service with restaurants. Listening to these complaints it's almost as if we were at different resorts or looking through different lenses.

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

I sam on the plane to a real resort.I really do not want to here from these paid agents any more.Theyare even Canada,Wow.

I am sick and tired of people that make these statements and have no idea what the subject is. That is why this is a open forum.

If you don't like this subject ,don't click on it. It's that simple.

See ya.

Zman

Cleveland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

Z-Man,

The fact that you lower yourself to insult me personally is very telling. You probably insult your travel agent, airline workers, hotel desk clerks, bellboys, servers, bartenders, and maintenance people and then wonder why you get poor service. (You have probably had your share of spit in your meals after mistreating your servers over the years).

You are rude and insulting on a vacation message board; I can only imagine the damage you do in person. Next time you travel try being polite; you may be surprised at how great your vacation is.

ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

I am really a nice person.

We had a drink together, Oh boy.!!!!

Sellersburg, IN
12 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

ElectricLemonade:

Glad you had a good time. That doesn't mean others did not. I always expect what I pay for. Maybe you are independently wealthy and can absorb a bad trip and just chalk it up, but I am not willing to accept that for myself.

I suppose the lady who got second degree burns at the spa should quit complaining and chalk it up to the newness of the place.

It is interesting, though, that someone who had a good experience would be so darn insistant that those of us who didn't are either idiots or wrong.

Sounds suspicious to me.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

This is amazing. We must have sidestepped all the bad stuff. We had great rooms. Loved the spa, the game room, the beach, the pool, the food. We expected the hoaky entertainment...seen it at the Iberostar. Maybe it is all in what we each paid. My bill was lower for flying on Christmas day and New Years. I guess I feel I got a good deal for the price. That and we got lucky compared to some. I hate to think that I have lower standards. One of my brothers didn't like it either...his plane was stuck on the tarmack for an hour, he got in after dark, he's large and so he felt his room was too small, he doesn't like to do any of the activities and status items mean a lot to him. He wants to go to a Hyatt in Aruba next year. The rest of us, ten in all really loved it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

I hope Sunscape realizes what they've caused and I do hope everyone that had this horror of an experience receives some compensation back for it. However, people can be at the same resort and have two totally different experiences at the same time. My fiance and his parents went to Mexico two years ago and it happened to us. His parents had a ahorrible experience and time (rooms, sunburned, snorkeling trip, food) and we had a blast! Honest to god- we traveled together and all and we came back with two totally different opinions. Our room was great and they had to switch rooms 2 times (this was an Iberostar hotel too). Gorgeous property.

I know that story doesn't mean much to any of you and it can't change what horror you went through OR didn't go through and loved it but might shed light on two totally differnt experiences.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

Indiana,

Read the entire thread for this subject. I was just sharing my experience at Sunscape, which I thought was the point of this forum. It wasn't until people started calling me deaf, blind, na��ve, a person with substandard travel expectations, an alcoholic, or a travel company mole that I started defending myself! I never imagined that I would be attacked for claiming that I had a good time. I will try not to let it happen again!

I believe that many people had a miserable time. I truly do. I was just stating that most people I interacted had a good time. It didn't really seem like an outrageous or inflammatory statement originally, but it obviously angered a lot of people!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Sunscape the Beach - The Next Applegate!!! BEWARE!!!!

At least zman has retired.