We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

Hi All,

I will be traveling to Punta Cana in Dec. with my wife.. and I am looking for methods of transportation to get to the capitol Santo Domingo... I know there are no buses... But I was curious to see what others have done and what private services they may have used to get to Santo Domingo... Please list names of companies and approximate costs if you remember...

Thanks!

Richard

Sosua, Dominican...
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

A lady travelled by taxi for 4000pesos last week, if that helps.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

how do you know there are NO busses???

b/c as a matter of fact the most common way to travel from PC to St Domingo is by bus, i do that once in a while myself even that i own cars here in PC and know the way to drive there, but the busses are more comfo and available all day long.

at which resort/location in PC you will be when you need a ride to santo domingo?

if you go by cabby count on around 120-150 bucks per ride, bus coulb be solved on around $10.- per person.

happy travels

Mike

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

We went 3 years ago from Punta Cana.Hire a taxi thru our Rep.Our rep was our tour guide for the day.We paid $50.00 US each we were 2 couples. Had a great day. Had lunch at Hard Rock Cafe.It was a long day 4 hr drive to get there but we stop to Boca Chica along the way.Have a great trip.

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

Thanks for the feedback Mike...

I will be staying at the Grand Oasis Punta Cana... and I prefer the bus myself, where abouts would I get it?

My wife is from DR and her sis was living in Punta Cana as her hubby was working for Cap Cana and she mentioned to us some of the hotels have shuttles to the Capital but ours doesnt... She also mentioned there were no big bus lines ie Caribe Tours or Metro.... But based on what your telling me there is bus service.

If you could supply me with any company names for the bus service I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks!

Richard

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

hi Richard,

from the Grand Oasis it is very easy, and you do not need the big overland Bus lines like Metro or Caribe Tours.

your hotel is located in a lil town named "Cabeza de Toro", i live here myself on the beach right aside your resort.

the local bus company is named "Sitrabapu", you can't get the wrong bus b/c they are the only public bus line in town, ha ha.

their busses depart as their main station right from the entrance of the Natura Park hotel aside your Grand Oasis Hotel, no need to walk over there, you await the bus right at the front gate of your hotel, wave your hand to stop them and jump aboard.

the first bus in the morning leaves on the minute 7:00AM, and from there on all day long around every 25-30 minutes, til the last one leaves in the afternoon on 6:40PM, that one like the first one leaves on the minute punctually.

so that bus brings you to Higuey where you let them drop you off at the bus station for santo domingo.

there the buses to Santo Domingo leave every 20 minutes all day long starting 3AM in the middle of the night, so you never face a real waiting time at any time of the day you may arrive at the station.

right where you enter the station the bus attendent sells you the bus ticket with a seat number and informs you in how many minutes the bus departs, in case you wanna grab a drink or food at their bar there. for the bus from Cabeza de Toro to Higuey you do not need to buy a ticket, the bus attendent will ask for his money while on the way in the bus.

it is completely hassle free.

the final station in santo domingo is at the Parque Enriquillo, but they do several stops prior to that when entering the huge city, depending to which part of santo domingo you want to travel.

in case you want to come back from santo domingo to Cabeza de Toro you grab that Bus at the Parque Enriquillo to Higuey(departing all day long every 20 minutes) and let him drop you off at the bus station "Bavaro" in Higuey.

so here you have at the same station 3 routes available.

one named Punta Cana(driving to the airport side),

one named Bavaro(driving to the Bavaro hotel strip)

and the thrid one is yours, named "Cabeza de Toro.

upon arrival at the bus station you just let any of the numerous present bus attendents know that you want to go to Cabeza de Toro and he will point out the right bus for you. departing every ca 25 minutes all day long.

back again in Cabeza de Toro they drop you off right at the entrance of the Oasis Grand.

right, from the huge Cap Cana property it may be more complicated, i don't have bus experience from there. the property itself is huge and a vehicle is needed to reach the main entrance, and from there it is quiet a way to reach the punta cana mainroad. i don't know if the public bus route passes by the front gate of Cap Cana today's or not.

have fun

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Toro
Toro
85 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Higuey
Higuey
Dominican Republic
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

hi Danny,

absolutely right,

to do a santo domingo tour as a private excursion it is the best to do so by a cabby/organized minivan, but that should be done with a real certified guide, plenty of them available here, not just with a hotelemployee who is bringing you around, such would not be covered by the needed insurances.

compared to your $200.- rate for 4 persons 3 years ago i would say the same ride including the certified guide and driver aso runs today for around $300.- per ride/per Van for small groups of 2-6 persons.

happy travels

Mike

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

Wow... Thanks so much... This is good stuff...

I just told my wife about it and she was happy and then she asked if the bus stopped near the Malecon Melia because she said that the last stop Parque Enriquillo was somewhat far from there...

Also, what have you heard about the Grand Oasis?

Thanks again!

Richard

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

i don;'t know the Malecon Melia, so don't know if the bus will come nearby.

but that's no prob.

you let the bus attendent know where you wanna go to and they drop you off at the nearest corner with cabbies available.

a cabby at st dgo runs for around 150.- pesos/$5.- per ride, no big deal and you can't get lost.

Mike

Kaiserslautern...
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

My wife and I took the Express Bavaro Bus from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo in June 2009. The terminal is in the Friusa section of Punta Cana, which was a 15 minute taxi ($20 fare) from the Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Buses ran at 7am and 10am (not sure if any ran later), cost US$10. The bus drive took not quite 4 hours, direct with a 15-minute rest stop halfway with food & bathrooms (bring your own TP). Pretty nice bus, slightly nicer than coach seats on an American airliner without a restroom. Trip finished at the terminal in Santo Domingo, at the intersection of Av. Maximo Gomez & Juan Sanchez Ramirez (it's labeled on Google Maps). There are taxis waiting at that terminal to take you to hotels.

The trip was pretty easy and nice to see the countryside, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it if you don't speak any Spanish and/or have not traveled third world countries before.

An alternative would be a private shuttle booked through your resort. Essentially a taxi. Our hotel charged $210 for 2 people, direct from hotel to hotel leaving anytime you wanted.

We didn't look into airline prices, but that's also an option.

10. Re: Punta Cana to Santo Domingo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 01, 2010