We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria scare

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria scare

I recently heard there is a problem in DR and especially in Punta Cana, have any resent visitors noticed anything?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria scare

Im going my doctor this afternoon to talk about the risks.

you should check out the website www.cdc.gov

It looks as if they are recommending the meds. I will post later and tell you what my local doc said.

PGH, PA

chicago
Level Contributor
331 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria scare

check out posts from about 2 weeks ago. There was HUGE discussion on malaria.

Myself, went in dDecember to Bahia Punta Cana, did not see a single mosquito.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria scare

If you decide to get the meds make sure you call your insurance agency to find a place where it's covered. Had to get a referrel from my Dr to go to a specific travel clinic, otherwise the medicine is pretty expensive. They also recommended the Hep A shot which we are going to get. Couldn't hurt especially since there have been a few cases of that around here.

Ontario
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria scare

Hi like the sun,

We arrived home the morning of the 26th after a great week in Punta Cana. We were at the LTI resort. We did take the chloroquine recommended for malaria and were happy we did. We seen mosquitoes and got bites. We applied bug spray for dinner as it was outside buffet and we had rain a couple of evenings that seemed to bring them out.

We had beautiful weather and lots of fun, would just take the precautions recommended. Also we saw no spraying going on.

Enjoy