We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the water safe to drink?

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Is the water safe to drink?

I have read numerous reviews of many of the larger resorts in Punta Cana, and many of them say to not drink the water. I am not especially worried about drinking it, as much as using it to brush my teeth. More importantly, my wife and I LOVE frozen drinks and are worried about the ice that is used to make them. Can anyone provide insight into this topic? I am planning to go in February of 06, and am seriously considering either Breezes or Barcelo Beach.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,947 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

Trini,

I can only say that in all my trips to the DR I have never re-washed the dinnerware nor the utensils and I have never been ill.

Gregg

uk.
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

don,t think you need the water

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

Ok good..i was about to go buy some paper plates and cups at walmart.

oxy
nyc
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

is there imported bottled water available to purchase in punta cana airport or in some shopping in the hotels or near by? i will be in paradisus punta cana (melia). i'd rather not use water bottled in dr. besides people post that bottled are not sealed, but refilled! and sometimes by tap water!

london,Canada
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

About the ice. I have been told that the ice is imported in big blocks which are then broken down and repackaged. The large blocks are dragged across a floor with large hooks and then lifted onto a table for cleaning. Unless the water is purified that they are using to rinse these blocks with then the ice could be contaminated from whatever company is processing the ice blocks.

This was told to me by someone who has a friend who works for a company that does health inspections for resorts in the Caribbean so anything is possible when it comes to food contamination.I am not saying this is what has happened but it is a possibility for some causes of gastroenteritis.

Alabama
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Is the water safe to drink?

I went to Breezes im May and had no trouble with the water. Ask for several bottles at the bar to keep next to the bathroom sink for teeth brushing. I am sure I got a little water in my mouth in the shower, but I did not get sick. I didn't go around washing forks and spoons either. If I had to choose again, I would go somewhere other than Breezes. It was just OKAY in all areas. I want to go somewhere fantastic, not average.

Good Luck! Bama Girl