We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish- English

Cape Cod
2 posts
Save Topic
Spanish- English

We are thinking of going to Punta Cana for our vacation in March. We do not speak any Spanish, will this be a problem?

I have heard some mixed reviews.

Thanks for any information,

PA
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish- English

We went this year in March and we didnt know any Spanish either, but it was't a problem, most speak English there, maybe just a little but enough that they will understand what you are saying and you will be surprised how much Spanish you will learn by the time you come back LOL

Cape Cod
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish- English

Thanks for the info some of the reviews we were reading made me a little nervous.

thanks again

Edmonton
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish- English

If you go to Debbie's Dominican site at http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

you will find a Spanish-English phrase page which gives the pronunciation as well. Print it out and practice a little. It's fun to learn a few phraes such as "dos cervecas con limon, por favor" (which is two beer with lime, please.) Even just please and thankyou are nice! My only problem is that my brain wants to translate from English to French then Spanish as French is my poorly spoken second language.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish- English

Well, if you need any specific phrases in spanish just let me know. My parents are spanish so I'm blessed with the fluent language and more then happy to help out. Only £50 a phrase! LOL just kidding!!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish- English

You will have from now until March to learn some basic phrases, I think it is just a courtesy to the locals who try so hard to make our holidays extra special. A little effort goes a long way!

Buena suerte (good luck)

Clear Lake...
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish- English

Curiosa--Como se dice a certain brand name of food or drink? Do you just call it by its name or do you use the Spanish "generic" term. For example, if you want something like a Kit Kat candy bar do you say Kit Kat or do you say chocolate? Not a burning question, I'm just curious what's appropriate.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish- English

Hi Crissy - personally I would just ask for 'un kit kat por favor'. Brand names are okay to use in spanish however, only time you'd find a problem with it is if its a brand thats not recognised within their country...

Anymore questions, feel free to fire away!!!!

Eva

Ohio
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish- English

It also think it depends on the resort. We stayed at the Palladium Bavaro 2 years ago and the language barrier was very noticeable. We stayed at the Riu Bambu in April and didn't have any trouble whatsoever. I also bought a Spanish dictionary to take with us just in case but didn't even need it.

an igloo
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spanish- English

Por favor, gracias, and a big smile go a long way!

Don't worry - if you manage to catch a few phrases in before you go, great....if not, the wonderful Dominican people will surely do their best to understand you.

london
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spanish- English

OH also, another point to take into account is the dialects.....

When I was in Mexico I was in a shop and wanted to buy a lighter so I asked for a 'mechero', okay so this is based on spanish learnt growing up from my family.

Well.......to my amazement they came back with a bloody Oil Lantern! LMFAO... I laughed my head off and was saying to the shop keeper in spanish that I only wanted a light for my cigarette and preferably something I could fit in my pocket, he then advised me that some of the spanish dialects are slightly different and the correct word for a lighter in mexico is 'encendedor'. Which again is another spanish used word in my parents town but hey, mechero sprung to mind!

Basically, just be aware of difference in dialects as even phrase books may give you the wrong wording, as such.

Eva