We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south side of the island resorts

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
south side of the island resorts

Hey there! Went to Bahia last year and LOVED it but are looking for the southern coast where the water is a bit calmer, any suggestions? I heard Iberostar Dominicanus is great??

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south side of the island resorts

The south coast is the best! Just so you know though, you have posted this thread under Punta Cana which isn't actually correct. People will still find you (as I have!), but you should be focusing your research towards La Romana or Santo Domingo.

It's no secret that my resort of choice is Casa del Mar. But the Iberostar Hacidenda Dominicus is also very popular. They are rather different so it depends on what you are looking for in your resort. The IHD is more formal with spread out grounds leading away from a beautiful white sandy beach and calm Caribbean waters. CDM is a more casual comfortable atmosphere, with its grounds spreading along the coast and white sandy beach rather than away from it. There may be an extra restaurant at the IHD but most of their restaurants are indoors. That may be a good thing for you! I prefer the fresh air and breezes (as opposed to air conditioning) when I can get it. There are 5 eating areas at CDM from a seaside grill to Asian to Italian cuisine and the buffet and pool snack bar. The snorkeling is better at CDM and its beach is more private. The south coast water excursions depart from the town of Bayahibe a 10 minute walk down the beach from CDM. CDM also boasts 2 spas which IHD doesn't have.

Both are fine choices. I think that the atmosphere: formal vs. casual may be one of the major differences. The snorkeling and spas are at CDM but I'm sure IHD has something that CDM doesn't, but I don't know what it is! Somebody else can weigh in on that one!