We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti Malaria Medicine

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oquawka, illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Anti Malaria Medicine

I talked it over with my doctor, the pros and cons of taking Chloroquinone. He advised me that you have to take it once a day, 1 week before you go, during your stay, and 1 week after. Let's start adding that up. A local discount department store sells them for $85.00 for 10 of them. About $175.00 the way I add it up. Times 2 people? Personally I am going to take my chances with DEET. I figured too, they must have it available there for the locals and it has to be much cheeper, although you do have to take it one week before you go. Just my opinion but I did the leg work to find out how much it costs. Doc also says sometimes the medicine makes you queezy and advised against drinking alcohol while on the meds. I AM ON VACATION OFCOURSE I AM GOING TO DRINK AND PLENTY OF IT! So case closed I am taking my chances with DEET. He says that the daytime posses little threat, it's after sundown that they come out to bite ya. Make sure you have your DEET applied to all exposed areas.

Ont., Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

Just had to answer your post Outsiders. Was amazed at the price you quoted for Chloroquine.We purchased our meds last week for our trip January 14. We are going for 2 weeks, so intend to start them Jan 6. Our 8 week prescription (1 pill a week) was a grand total of $7.63 each and as we are Canadian, that would be just about $5.50US. Have consulted 2 doctors and 3 pharmacists and all agreed that alcohol would not be a problem with this medication. Apparently this medication, and many others also, will give you a queasy feeling on an empty stomach but if taken after dinner on a full stomach shows no effects.

The problem qwith malaria is that it can take quite a few months to show up so that is why we have decided not to take the risk.

toronto, Ont
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

The ONLY time that cloroquine has ill efects while drinking is for someone who already has a liver problem, otherwise both my docotor, my boyfriends doctor and my pharmasist said that there is no problem drinking while on the meds. I told my doctor that I heard that warning a lot on this site and she pulled out her book where it lists all the info for the drug and it specifically said that it only conflicts with pre-existing liver conditions. As for the price, aren't there any travel clinics or free clinics that you can go to to get discounted drugs, don't you guys buy discounted prescription drugs from up here all the time? Becuase if you do get a mosquito bite do you really want to ruin your trip worrying about it?

Mpls, MN
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

I don't take any prescription drugs on a regular basis, but won't people's insurance coverage, or lack of insurance, factor in the pricing? Low for some, mid-range for others, and high for uninsured? My wife and I have 2 different health insurers and I paid $20 and she paid $28 for 6 or 7 weeks worth.

Toronto
Level Contributor
970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

Holy cow! We got the chloroquine pills & they were .10/pill plus a dispensing fee of $12.00 for a total of like $15.00 for the two of us cause the dude @ the travel clinic put both of ours on one perscription. We are still undecided if we are going to take them, however. The pills are NOT a 100% guarantee that you won't get malaria. We are taking Deep Woods Off with DEET tho. $350.00 seems kinda steep for the pills so you may want to check out a CAD on-line pharmacy.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

I don't know where everybody else lives but I picked up the pills for my hubby and myself a week ago (chloroquine) and paid $1.91 for each precription with enough pills to take for 1 week begore, 2 while there and 2 for 4 weeks upon return. Is this just another way to gouge the consumer??I figure for under $2.00 why take the risk. Also, there hasn't been any malaria reported since December 1st and if it goes a full month (till January 1st ) warning will be lifted. Our fingers are crossed!!!

Calgary-from...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

my doctor has me one them 2 weeks before i go, one when im there, and 4 after. but im only taking the pill once a week. and it total the 7 pills cost me under $10.00 CAN

oquawka, illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

You all have been great! We poor Americans are truely getting the shaft with pharmaseuticals. First off let me say, I always new my doc was a quack (this thing about alcohol consumption proves it haha.) Checked it out on line and weth the pharmacist. Secondly, I have found 9 pills for about $45.00 at good ole Walmart, half of the original quote from good ole K-Mart. Thirdly, too late to shop on line as we are leaving in 8 days. But you all have been wonderful with your posts.

Regina SK
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

Our meds were only $1.19 for each presciption for 5 of us...... I do have coverage throu work but even without that I think they were only about $9.00 per presciption. We start taking the pills this thursday, hoping there will not be any side effects especially for the kids.

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

I also got my perscription for chloroquine already, we are covered with benefits so really didn't pay anything the actual cost here for a 6 week supply was $11.91 ($10 for meds and $1.91 dispensing fee).

Kingston, ON
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anti Malaria Medicine

Oh and just to let you all know...we starting taking ours and so far so good...no side effects that we've noticed.