We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We need better hygiene in DR.

montreal
Level Contributor
874 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
We need better hygiene in DR.

A lot of us find that the hotels in DR are not doing enough to keep the people free of all kind of illness. As most hotel's customer relations people are reading reviews and forums on this site we should tell them what they could do to improve the hygiene in their hotels.

The hotels don't belong to the workers so there no use to say that Dominicans live in poor condition, make very small salaries etc. Many hotels are own by Spaniards, Germans, etc. and they are the ones who are resposible for the cleaness and saftety of food and water. They will continue to pocket our money and do nothing to improve the quality of their hotels until we are feed up and tell them what we want. Otherwise with the rising cost of everything they might find their hotels half empty.

Please let them know what they should do.

No complain about your past sickness as we all know about that but for the future, what would you suggest they do.

Chicago, Il.
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

I agree with you 100% that the owners should take better care of their hotels.I am leaving to Punta Cana on the 14th of Aug. Any suggestions on anything at all?. Thank you!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

First piece of advice to prospective travellers...relax and enjoy your vacation! Did you ever notice in public washrooms, and I have seen this in AIs too, how many people leave a stall and then dont wash their hands...and then touch door handles, food and G-d knows what else???? It is quite repulsive! Stop blaming alll the resorts for all your woes or make your life simple and dont travel! If each person focused on their own personal hygiene, the spread of germs would be reduced. When they teach their kids to stop peeing in swimming pools, coughing without covering their mouths and the fundamental handwashing, especially before eating or touching things that are touched by others...maybe the incidence of "DR-related illnesses" will be reduced!

I dont htink the hotels are in any danger of not keeping up to their capacity levels as not all vacationers are paranoid.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

dricha: not only children, but adults should be taught these

hygiene methods/manners too. My husband witnessed a chef going to the toilet and then leaving to resume his duties without washing his hands ... not something we have brought our children up to do!

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

Rosalinda,

I can only agree with you 100% on this matter. While on our holiday my son (he is 15 years old) went to the bar and ordered a Pepsi - the bar man was stood blowing his nose. The barman then without washing his hands made the drink - bare hands into the ice tubs to scoop ice into his glass!!!! He hadn't washed his hands!!

He actually told my son off because my son said "No thank you - will you wash your hands and make me another drink please?". The barman actually got frustrated with my son and wouldn't serve him!!!! The barman saw that he did no wrong!!!

Now I am proud my son was smart enough not to have taken the drink and drink it - just like any parent would be. I have taught my sons never to accept foods and drinks if they are uncertain about them.

We don't blame the staff - they do as they think best. The problem is with the companies that they work for and the lack of training and supervision that they get from their employers.

I genuinely believe that if more people spoke up about the problems concerning health risks with foods etc.. - then these companies would realise just how big a problem this matter is. But while people make allowances and excuses "Oh it's a third world country - what do you expect?" - and accepting sub par is acceptable - then this problem will always be the case.

The remedy is easy - and this problem can be sorted with some determination. This has to be better for everyone concerned?? Surely improvements are beneficial to us all??

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

As the old saying goes.....it`s hard to teach an old dog new tricks.....if you aren`t brought up to have good hyegene habits, it`s difficult for them to be second nature to you. I`m sure the DRs are put through training about personal habits, but when you haven`t done it all of your life it becomes hard to remember. We travel to Mexico 3 times a year and have never had any sickness, but on my first trip to DR I got deathly ill. We must all remember to wash, wash, wash, our hands all the time and especially after visiting the restrooms

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

Elmo: Well said, we teach it to our kids, again and again and again. Children may have to be reminded abount hygiene but adults should not!

Toronto
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

elmo, then maybe you are better off in Mexico because nobody ever got sick there! I notice again that only the "staff" are to blame, what about dirty guests...remember money does not equal class or cleanliness. And just because people have been raised on an island does not make them any less clean.

All the Dominican friends I know have excellent personal hygiene and their homes are spotless. I have stayed eaten and stayed in placed other than AIs in DR and have never encountered this issue with cleanliness.

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

dricha; for the first time we agree, it is not just down to the dirty habits of staff but of guests also. I have never tried to be discriminative but if we all maintain our standards then that will be good for all of us.

Toronto
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

RiuDiseaseSufferer, may I call you RDS for short?...too lazy to type the whole thing...pleased we finally saw eye to eye...if a joint effort was made all round, things could possibly be alleviated for those people who are most vulnerable.

north wales UK
Level Contributor
918 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We need better hygiene in DR.

DRChica and RDS,

You are both so right - there has to be a joint effort in solving these issues. It has to come from the tourists too - simple measures can be adhered to easily by everyone can't they??